Waterflow How Much Is To Much?

  • Thread starter Thread starter wbgnt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

wbgnt

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 3, 2012
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
Location
maplewood
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I have a 220gal mixed reef. my question is how much flow is to much or to little. I picked up 4 jebo wp60s about 2 months ago and I ran all 4 for a while then didn't like that my sand was moving around so then I just ran 2 one on each side but my sps wasn't super happy with the flow. when I ran all 4 all the sps extend their ployps out all the way out. Thanks for your input Nate
 
Only if a sand storm whirls about, thats to much. My sand moves about in one area, just a bit.
 
30-40x turnover in display is a pretty good number to shoot for in a mixed reef.
Random flow patterns seem best if you can provide that.
I use caribsea special seafloor grade sand, seems to lay down just fine even w/ pretty heavy flow.
You may be able to bounce off the front panel of glass to soften the blow while maintaining flow and hit dead spots.
 
davocean could you explain me the 30-40x turnover term please? Trying to learn a little here :)

30-40x turnover in display is a pretty good number to shoot for in a mixed reef.
Random flow patterns seem best if you can provide that.
I use caribsea special seafloor grade sand, seems to lay down just fine even w/ pretty heavy flow.
You may be able to bounce off the front panel of glass to soften the blow while maintaining flow and hit dead spots.
 
mmatspr what davocean is saying is if you have a 100 gallon display you should have about power heads that move about 3000 to 4000 gallons per hour water movement. I hope that helps. Nate
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 32.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 7.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new