Wave maker problems

JoeyJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've added 2 clownfish to my tank(75 gallons) and when the wave maker is off they free swim everywhere but when ever I turn the wave maker on they immediately run back to their caves and sit there untill the wave maker is off

Btw the wave maker is a aquatop with 1321 gph and is usually positioned to face the middle column of the tank

So like what should I do should I keep it off or on

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They'll get used to it. They may well have never experienced much flow before (assuming they're relatively young and from a shop) so it's a bit strange for them.

Birdman Broham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
So I've added 2 clownfish to my tank(75 gallons) and when the wave maker is off they free swim everywhere but when ever I turn the wave maker on they immediately run back to their caves and sit there untill the wave maker is off

Btw the wave maker is a aquatop with 1321 gph and is usually positioned to face the middle column of the tank

So like what should I do should I keep it off or on
Sounds like they’re not used to that type of flow so there’s two things you can do. You can either buy one that has a controller on it so you can start off at a lower flow rate and then slowly increase the flow rate to where you need it to be, or, leave it in place sounds like they just need to get used to it it. As far as turning it on and off, I would not do that because it’s gonna take them longer to adjust by letting it continuously run they will eventually come out and most clowns like the play flow like that.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
leave it on, its not a very strong wavemaker, you are getting less than 20x turnover. My tanks run closer to 40x turnover.

Your wavemaker should be somewhat pointed at the water surface to agitate the water surface, you don't want a flat water surface.

My only other comment is to add another wavemaker on the opposite end. With just one, you get a one-way flow, IMO it creates a lot of dead flow spots. 2 is always better, especially in a tank that size, that way you can aim them somewhat at each other so they reflect off each other and create a more random flow pattern.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back