Wavemaker vs powerhead

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are important in their own ways. I like to have both working togather to make sure stuff don't settle.
Currently on my 300 gal system I have gyre 280 with mp40.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in this hobby for 20+ yrs with 4 tank upgrades. All 4 tanks were custom made by glasscages. And we all know glass cages did not use to have a good reputation which they have come a long ways but they still lack craftsmanship and their silicone work is not all that great.
With all those deficiencies and with continous use of wave maker in all my tanks starting from maxi jets on reef keeper in early days to gyre 280 today I have never had a tank fail due to any reason. Just my experience.

BlueCursor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two gyre 250s. But I don't create waves with them, I just move a ton of water in a random fashion. There are many cases of people who have had failures with waves. Also, most manufacturers specifically call out that a wave machine invalidates the warranty.

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two gyre 250s. But I don't create waves with them, I just move a ton of water in a random fashion. There are many cases of people who have had failures with waves. Also, most manufacturers specifically call out that a wave machine invalidates the warranty.

Do you have to clean those often?

BlueCursor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean them once month or two. They are a pain to clean, unlike the MPs. I take a toothbrush to the netting a couple times a month which is much easier. Cleaning requirement will vary by your nutrient levels, coralline growth, algae growth, etc.

The MPs I rarely cleaned because I never had any issues with them except coralline on the outer housing, which didn't really matter.

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to pick your brain but is the main thing with the mp is that it changes the current?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back