WaveMakers and Cycling Phase

jtmoney528

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still learning on all of this and am curious on how much flow is needed.

I have a 72 gallon bowfront that is sump'd (33 gallon sump so I would say about 90 gallons total).

I have two new SICCE XStream pumps on opposite ends. For placement of these is it best to place one on one side and the other on the other side of the tanks so they dont blow right against each other and cover half of the tank each.

I have a 5000 and a 8000 with a controller, what should I set these to for their GPH? Do I set them on the pulse mode or just let them run all the time?

I do not have any corals or fish in there yet as I am getting ready to start the cycling phase.

For the cycling phase I am doing fishless with Microbacter7 / Nite Out II and Ammonia Chloride - I do not plan on putting fish in it for awhile because I want it to mature first. Is it best to just put them and and monitor and just let it go or do I need to continue to test every 2-3 days?

Thanks for your help!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For wavemakers you want roughly 10-20x your tank volume in supplemental flow. How you arrange them is very much personal preference and will be governed by your rock work. Some people like to use a air stone to visually see the flow patterns.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back