Ways to save money in this hobby

kane720

da madd reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if a similar thread has been posted already, i searched first and didn't find one. I was thinking it would be a nice to thread for people to share their ways they save a little $ in this hobby.

here's a list (not all my ideas just a list of suggestions people posted. posted this on my local forum also i hope ppl don't mind, i will bring ideas from over there if thats ok):

I buy white dollar store panty hose for putting carbon in to throw in tank. Leave extra length so once carbon is exhasted i cut rinse the stocking refill and tieback up.

i only run my MH for 6 hours a day, 7 if I feel generous, to save electricity. I also feed only once a day

I also try to find equipment that is used and in good condition.

I save money by buying things in bulk. Instead of paying $10 for a tiny thing of kalk, I buy a few gallons for the same price from BRS. Same with GFO, Carbon, Calcium, Magnesium.

I also feel I save money on things by spending money on the better stuff up front. Instead of buying a crappy skimmer for $100, and then turn around and upgrade for $200, I just buy the $200 up front. I've found I've wasted a lot of money upgrading that could have been avoided.

I also feel I save money by spending money on replacing my RO filters very often. $30 replacement kit for 4 stage saves me from having to buy other chemicals to fight phosphates, red slime, etc that can come from bad water.

If you dose, DIY 2-part:

Alk $6 for 12lbs
bakingsoda.jpg

Ca $16 for 50lbs

DrivewayHeat.jpg

LEDs. I cut my usage from 1500 watts/hr to 480 watts/hr. That was adding another LED light to my frag tank as well. I went from 6 hrs a day MH to 11 hrs a day, LED.

Buy superglue gel at the dollar story, 3 tubes for .99

I would start participating in group buys
You can get some really nice super glue at michaels for cheap, their jewelry and metal glue.

Lots of ways to save money.. Do it yourself. Buy energy efficient pumps, skimmers, lights like led or t-5. Down size to a smaller tank.
Look for deals and have patients. Join a reef club and trade frags or meet other people in the hobby through the discussions board.
Buy stuff from people getting out of the hobby like thier live rock and recycle it.
Also dont buy cheap stuff, it ends up costing you more in the long run.

high efficiency pumps bought used at half the price
frag swaps - save tons of money over buying from vendors and on the subject of corals in general i don't buy the so called high end or LE stuff - there are a lot of very nice corals that don't have the collector status price tag
also on the subject of corals avoid the hype and fad corals - those truely worth owning will grow fast enough to flood the market so you don't have to be the first on the block to own the nice stuff - soon enough it will be affordable
fish - i don't buy those with a rep for being difficult - losing fish drives me crazy so i only buy known tank hardy species
salt - buy in bulk when on sale

skip the snake oil treatments and chemicals - don't need any of them

patience - let your corals grow, don't try to fill it in a day, in the end a tank full of colonies will look better then frag filled tank anyway

put everything on timers, it really reduces the "I forgot to..." factor, and it also gets your reef on a daily set schedule, and if you do the moon lighting right with the timing you can promote spawning in fish and corals.

I saved money by researching the products I wanted and compared them to other equipment of the same quality. I then chose the one that used the least wattage. I also bought quality products that way I'm not tempted to upgrade lol. It also helps to be patient and look for deals to pop up if it's possible.

Last edited:

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i only run my MH for 6 hours a day, 7 if I feel generous, to save electricity. I also feed only once a day.... and +1 for the panty hose, LOL!

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to save $$ by making my own sump/fuge... but could end up costing more in the long run. :) I also try to find equipment that is used and in good condition.

butts182

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i wanted to really save money I would just get out.

I think that's the best way to save money. FOWLR is a good way to save money, because those corals are expensive, especially when they die. I will have to try the panty hose idea!

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I save money by buying things in bulk. Instead of paying $10 for a tiny thing of kalk, I buy a few gallons for the same price from BRS. Same with GFO, Carbon, Calcium, Magnesium.

I also feel I save money on things by spending money on the better stuff up front. Instead of buying a crappy skimmer for $100, and then turn around and upgrade for $200, I just buy the $200 up front. I've found I've wasted a lot of money upgrading that could have been avoided.

I also feel I save money by spending money on replacing my RO filters very often. $30 replacement kit for 4 stage saves me from having to buy other chemicals to fight phosphates, red slime, etc that can come from bad water.

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LEDs. I cut my usage from 1500 watts/hr to 480 watts/hr. That was adding another LED light to my frag tank as well. I went from 6 hrs a day MH to 11 hrs a day, LED.

Buy superglue gel at the dollar story, 3 tubes for .99

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for buying in bulk.

I would add that getting to know local reefers (or even ones on the messageboard) and trade frags rather than buy. Dont get me wrong I spend a ton buying coral from vendors and several of the vendors on this site, but when possible it is nice to trade or buy cheaply from other hobbyists.

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start participating in group buys
You can get some really nice super glue at michaels for cheap, their jewelry and metal glue.

twinspots_goby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man! you guys have been doing a great job for providing some very useful information. So far I have learned a lot, especailly about the two part dosing. Keep coming up and help all of us to save some $$.

kron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on buying in bulk.. BRS is the best way to get high quality dosing for dirt cheap!! (no I don't work for them, just love their stuff).

I also use regular Gel Super Glue instead of the "reef" safe super glue that's $15 bucks at my LFS.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lots of ways to save money.. Do it yourself. Buy energy efficient pumps, skimmers, lights like led or t-5. Down size to a smaller tank.
Look for deals and have patients. Join a reef club and trade frags or meet other people in the hobby through the discussions board.
Buy stuff from people getting out of the hobby like thier live rock and recycle it.
Also dont buy cheap stuff, it ends up costing you more in the long run.

Dave Polzin

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's the best way to save money. FOWLR is a good way to save money, because those corals are expensive, especially when they die. I will have to try the panty hose idea!

Definitely agree that the best way to save money but have a nice tank is to go FOWLR. You could even add a few soft corals like mushrooms and kenya trees to add a few small things and still not have to worry much. Once you get into nicer corals or corals that need more attention, no matter what you do it will all add up.

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LED's - saving electricity and replacement cost
high efficiency pumps bought used at half the price
frag swaps - save tons of money over buying from vendors and on the subject of corals in general i don't buy the so called high end or LE stuff - there are a lot of very nice corals that don't have the collector status price tag
also on the subject of corals avoid the hype and fad corals - those truely worth owning will grow fast enough to flood the market so you don't have to be the first on the block to own the nice stuff - soon enough it will be affordable
fish - i don't buy those with a rep for being difficult - losing fish drives me crazy so i only buy known tank hardy species
salt - buy in bulk when on sale
bulk reef supply two part
skip the snake oil treatments and chemicals - don't need any of them
buy quality when buying large purchases to avoid the need to upgrade
patience - let your corals grow, don't try to fill it in a day, in the end a tank full of colonies will look better then frag filled tank anyway

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start compiling some of these into the first post of the thread.

Hyprviperx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
put everything on timers, it really reduces the "I forgot to..." factor, and it also gets your reef on a daily set schedule, and if you do the moon lighting right with the timing you can promote spawning in fish and corals.

ReefDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saved money by researching the products I wanted and compared them to other equipment of the same quality. I then chose the one that used the least wattage. I also bought quality products that way I'm not tempted to upgrade lol. It also helps to be patient and look for deals to pop up if it's possible.

Chops30

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avid user of the dollar store panty hose and super glue gel. Agree with joining a local club and swapping frags. The bulk of my corals have been giving to me by local reefers when they grow out I'll do the same.

PR_Reefers

Reefer 4 Life!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i wanted to really save money I would just get out.

well said.... getting out!... sad but true! If I had a FOWLR tank I would probably have been gone already!!:sure:

best way to save I think would be to buy the correct product the first time around!!! sometimes you try to save in the things you shouldn't and most times end up spending double for replacing or upgrading it!!

Last edited:
Back