WC schedule maths

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry in advance. I've heard it said that a 1.5% daily water change will cause a plateau effect on build up of contaminants and elements after only a couple months. Where would a 0.5% daily WC plateau (assuming all additions are equal)? And how often for a total volume change over (within reason, not diminishing infinitely if it does)?

Last edited:
OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The article you have shows the effects.

See Figure 6, red line.
Follow up question in regards to WC math since we're on the subject, if you don't mind.

I don't have a mixing station (apartment), and am occasionally forced to do large WCs in emergency situations. Is there any sort of formula for calculating the tempature equilibrium between 2 bodies of water?

Let's say for example, my kid dumps something in my tank and I need to do an 80% WC. For me, that is filling up 4 separate buckets with 4 separate heaters and powerheads for hours, while my display tank sits almost empty. This is obviously impractical. However, if I could just dump the 4 buckets (in this case 4g each) and have some sort of formula that shows removing "X" rodi from the 4g and boiling it, will result in a tempature increase of "Y" when added back, then I could just boil a gallon or whatever on the stove and have an entire tank volume of water made up and temp'd in like 20 mins.

OP
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow up question in regards to WC math since we're on the subject, if you don't mind.

I don't have a mixing station (apartment), and am occasionally forced to do large WCs in emergency situations. Is there any sort of formula for calculating the tempature equilibrium between 2 bodies of water?

Let's say for example, my kid dumps something in my tank and I need to do an 80% WC. For me, that is filling up 4 separate buckets with 4 separate heaters and powerheads for hours, while my display tank sits almost empty. This is obviously impractical. However, if I could just dump the 4 buckets (in this case 4g each) and have some sort of formula that shows removing "X" rodi from the 4g and boiling it, will result in a tempature increase of "Y" when added back, then I could just boil a gallon or whatever on the stove and have an entire tank volume of water made up and temp'd in like 20 mins.
I actually found an answer on my own, just posting it in case it becomes convenient for someone else with a different system volume in an emergency. Here's the formula (NOT my math because I'm dumb, just copied and pasted):

"The temperature of a mixture of different temp waters can be expressed as ([volume of water] x [temp]) / volume of water. You have two volumes: the amount you’re intending to boil (x) and the amount you’re leaving in the tank (4-x)

(68(4-x)+212x)/4=76
272+144x=304
144x=32
x=.2222… gallons
28.4 fluid oz"

I thought It may be helpful coming up on power outage season with people heating water on gas stoves.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back