We all hate them, Dinos! I have a cure...

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B2D977E8-10C1-4488-A0CC-F329AA6AA7EB.jpeg

That one on the right looks more like ostreopsis to me?

Trevor40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally looked passed this. It's actually prorocentrum and what looks like coolia.

Dang it, why do there have to be so many different types!? I thought for sure they were Amphidinium but now that you say something it has me thinking they are different. I need to get a UV sterilizer then if they are coolia and prorocentrum.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang it, why do there have to be so many different types!? I thought for sure they were Amphidinium but now that you say something it has me thinking they are different. I need to get a UV sterilizer then if they are coolia and prorocentrum.
Trust me when I say, you'd much rather have this than amphidinium.

Trevor40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me when I say, you'd much rather have this than amphidinium.

I am going to add a Emperor Aquatics Smart UV Lite Sterilizer 18 Watt to my 240 gallon system. Do you think that would do the trick against these or do I also need to dose N and PO4?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to add a Emperor Aquatics Smart UV Lite Sterilizer 18 Watt to my 240 gallon system. Do you think that would do the trick against these or do I also need to dose N and PO4?
You need both nutrients and a UV. However that 18 watt might not be enough for your tank size. The other dino thread can help you more with UV.

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow much to my surprise this thread still has some life to it. Haven't checked it in a long time. I'm sorry that some people has issues with this process. Each tank and situation is different as we all know. I do know that I have used this process numerous times with great success in all of them. Thank you for Lee this thread going and happy reefing to everyone!

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey there. Quick question. Following your Dinos/Waste Away approach. Just covered my tank up with black plastic. I have a 116g SPS dominant tank. I have a skimmer and UV. The directions say to dose half the recommended dosage of Waste Away for initial use. So I dosed 55ml vs the full dose 110ml. Is that right or did you go in with the full amount right away?

Also, did you keep skimmer and UV on the full time, or did you turn it off initially? I turned off the UV but left the skimmer on.

Please let me know ASAP, thank you!!!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The recommended size is 1 watt per three gallons. Slow turnover like < 3X an hour. Sized correctly, this will work on all but amphidinium.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's kind of hard to see on my phone, is there any that look like snot bubble stretching toward the light? Kind of stringy?
That's what I have right now.... I blame Covid .... LOL Where in Florida are you? I'm on the west coast....south of Sarasota.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use a UV sterilizer it will NOT cure Dino's as it can only kill what passes thru. (Assuming set up is correct for the purpose you are using it for) Reality. Correct the cause 1st. IMO improved flow and raising NO3 will help. It is liely your NO3 is < 2.5ppm. I would raise it up to ( 10-16ppm) I used a sodium Nitrate solution to rid my tank of it. It took several weeks. Good luck

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Russ, the way that this process was explained to me is the the bacteria in the Dr. Tim's will out compete the dino for a food source, basically killing the Dino because they will not have enough "food" to survive. (In a nutshell)

Dr. Tim says his bacteria literally consume the Dinos themselves

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Russ, the way that this process was explained to me is the the bacteria in the Dr. Tim's will out compete the dino for a food source, basically killing the Dino because they will not have enough "food" to survive. (In a nutshell)
I had success using Dr. Tim's when fighting dinos.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back