We lost our chalk goby today, any idea what the cause could have been?

An_Enemy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today our chalk goby, that's been with us for a year and a half, died as I was cleaning the tank. He seemed more lathargic than usual and then started swimming/spasming across the tank before he stopped moving entirely.

We added a filefish a few months ago and recently noticed that our fish may have caught worms from it.

Other fish only had the white stringy poop, but out goby had started losing weight, getting weird bulges on his gut, swimming erratically, getting black stripes and getting pinkish marks behind his fins.

We just finished a three week treatment of Focus/General Cure and their poop has been fine for a week, so last night I stopped the medication and started adding nutrients to thier food again.

The goby's behaviour had gone back to normal and and he's been gaining weight again, although the shape of his gut didn't seem the same.

last night he didn't seem to have any abnormal behaviour. Does anyone have any idea what caused him to suddenly die now?
IMG_20190720_180618.jpeg
IMG_20190720_180518.jpeg
IMG_20190720_180545.jpeg

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible he died from natural causes such as a heart attack, stroke, etc but a disease is also possible. I would recommend to start by catching one of your other fish and preforming a freshwater dip to make sure that you don't have flukes in your tank
I'm sorry that you lost your fish, it's never easy losing one you've grown attached to

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back