Wean Long Nosed Hawkfish off Live Food

SigmaVX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a healthy long nose hawk that refuses to eat frozen (mysis), fresh (reef nutrition roe or pods), or any pellets/flakes. He devours small live feeder shrimp. I’ve tried garlic and mixing things up. Any suggestions from the pros on how I can move him over to frozen or fresh?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird, my old longnose and Falco would never turn down frozen mysis, they loved it and brine shrimp.

I'd say starve it out for a few days and introduce the frozen mysis. I started out giving mine frozen brine and mysis from a pipette and they eventually took to it.

P.S. they are into live, it's gonna be rough to convert them...

OP
OP
SigmaVX

SigmaVX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. I had some success doing two things: 1) I put some live shrimp in a bag and floated. Hawk was going nuts seeing them and I added reef nutrition mysis around the bag. In snapping at the shrimp he ended up taking some of the mysis. 2) moved shrimp to acclamation box and proceeded to add some mysis into box where flow would spill some mysis out that he ate. Hope this helps someone some day.

OP
OP
SigmaVX

SigmaVX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. The acclimation box trick seems to be working. The key is adding some food inside the box so that flow blows it outside the box where the hawk is always watching. He is not 100% off but each day he is taking more to prepared foods.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back