Weekly water changes VS. automatic daily

ManQuarium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of changing my water changing process. I generally change 10 gallon a week in my 75 gallon tank. I was thinking of auto changing 1.5 gallons a day. Is there a large difference in coral growth and tank stability?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont belive so. As long as you are removing bad water before adding good new and not mixing good and bad ( diluting the bad water with new ).

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used regular water changes for over 20 years and have been doing AWC for about 2 years. Both have great results but AWC has been really nice and easy.

Vyper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do auto water changes on a 180 and 220. Just to much work to keep up with the other way. Leaves me more time to do other maintenance. You would think the smaller changes daily over several hours would make for a much more stabile environment. It would be interesting to see if there have been any studies done on it.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Am in the slow process of setting up AWC of about 1-1.5 gallon per day on a 170 gallon system for me it all about set it and forget it.

I will mix my salt once a month and let the DOS do the rest. its great way to get in your WC and not skip it. life can get busy or you just might not fill like it this way it get done.

Stoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I found this article by RHF really useful. TLDR: continuous/small auto water changes are the most stable and convenient, but larger water changes are slightly more efficient.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back