Weir Cleaning

Floyd_UK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning All,

Over the past few ICP tests (every 6 weeks), my Sulfate levels have been steadily increasing, with the most recent value of 3024. I have been chasing my phosphate levels last reading was 0.11 and using quite a large amount of Rowa.

This week I have entered into a major clean of the sump, especially the refugium as this is in the return chamber and acts as a course filter.

Yesterday, I decided to clean out the weir. The tank has been in its current position for over 3 years, and I had never considered cleaning this area. After soaking the weir with a concentrated citric acid solution, the resulting waste that was removed was amazing, and had quite a pungent smell. It took over 200 litres of fresh water to run clean.

This morning, I have now had to tackle low nitrates, dropped to under 5 ( had dosed to raise) and my phosphate is back to 0.031, I measure Phosphorus at 10 ppb.

So a couple of questions.

How often if ever do people clean out the weirs.

Also is the best refugium location the first or second area, I have cheato in the first with a Clarisea filter, and skimmer, reactor in the second.

Have a enjoyable weekend.

Many thanks

Lee

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often if ever do people clean out the weirs.
I do weekly water changes and every other week I take a brush to clean the weir.
I also siphon detritus at the bottom of the sump every few weeks as well, when it accumulates enough.

Also is the best refugium location the first or second area, I have cheato in the first with a Clarisea filter, and skimmer, reactor in the second.
Usually people tend to separate the refuge from the equipment found in the sump, which makes it the second chamber in most cases. But it isn’t a hard rule, just prevents the algae from blocking or getting shred by a pump.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back