Weird black light sensitive algae

mexuus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! So I have this weird blackish thin algae that keeps growing. It grows it seems in the low flow spots but I have so much flow in my tank so idk how it’s possible. It can be starved out by light but once the light goes on it is back within a day. It doesn’t t look like cyano, it’s black and stringy and flowy. It first starts in the sand bed and kind of makes a mat and then slowly goes to the rock. I’ve tried Phosgard and GFO and nothing. Recently got a protein skimmer for my water box 20g so hoping that will work but can anyone help me? I’ll post pics when I get a chance

OP
OP
mexuus

mexuus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll share a pic when I get home. But I don’t believe it’s dinos. It be had them before in another tank and very different but hopefully with the pic it’ll be better

OP
OP
mexuus

mexuus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So I googled some more and found other nonspecific photos that are somewhat similar to what I have. The color is black and only black. When it’s in the rock, it’s like a carpet but on the sand bed it’s a carpet with long tentacles like the 3rd pic.

Attachments

• 05B93F7B-3208-4228-9105-896F3AC8E5C8.jpeg
    05B93F7B-3208-4228-9105-896F3AC8E5C8.jpeg
    260.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 206F5154-9D98-43DE-B7C8-C31FD7EFCF48.jpeg
    206F5154-9D98-43DE-B7C8-C31FD7EFCF48.jpeg
    228.8 KB · Views: 40
  • D8ACCFF3-8773-4A3E-A51E-5AE6DB370745.jpeg
    D8ACCFF3-8773-4A3E-A51E-5AE6DB370745.jpeg
    20.3 KB · Views: 53

brittp21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like Dinos. I had it. I had to buy a cheap amazon microscope to find out what type of algae I had. Once I put it under the microscope I figured out the type I had. I bought a uv sterilizer and cut my photo period and dose MB7. I think if you put it under a microscope and figure out what type you have then you'll know what steps you need to take to eradicate it.

OP
OP
mexuus

mexuus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like Dinos. I had it. I had to buy a cheap amazon microscope to find out what type of algae I had. Once I put it under the microscope I figured out the type I had. I bought a uv sterilizer and cut my photo period and dose MB7. I think if you put it under a microscope and figure out what type you have then you'll know what steps you need to take to eradicate it.
So I’ve dozed nearly 2 bottles of microbacter 7 and it has not helped at all. I’ve even done the turbo start from the beginning

OP
OP
mexuus

mexuus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE! Pics
It’s not too big or growing as I recently tried to clean it all out

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 32

brittp21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve dozed nearly 2 bottles of microbacter 7 and it has not helped at all. I’ve even done the turbo start from the beginning
what I did was take a toothbrush and brush the algae off the rocks if it was any on there. It mostly was on the sand bed. I would do a "water change" not an actual water change but I would put filter floss over the end of a hose to catch the algae. Then I would dump the water back in. I keep doing that and it went alway. Along with all the other steps I mentioned above. I think I reduced my photo period to 6 hours it was 12.

OP
OP
mexuus

mexuus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what I did was take a toothbrush and brush the algae off the rocks if it was any on there. It mostly was on the sand bed. I would do a "water change" not an actual water change but I would put filter floss over the end of a hose to catch the algae. Then I would dump the water back in. I keep doing that and it went alway. Along with all the other steps I mentioned above. I think I reduced my photo period to 6 hours it was 12.
So. Right now I don’t have the light on and it was still growing. Idk what to do lol

brittp21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So. Right now I don’t have the light on and it was still growing. Idk what to do lol
Get a microscope. Without knowing the type you have its kinda like shooting in the dark. The kind I had was prorocentrum. It's a thread on here that list the different type of Dinos. Once you find out the type of Dinos you have its should help you come up with a plan to get rid of it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back