Weird filter feeder thing on Zoas

HermanoToro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’ve had this zoa colony for a few months and, when I got it, noticed a small black mass growing off one of the zoa stems. The mass appeared to be splitting off from the stem and I thought maybe one of the heads was splitting into a new head or something.
Over the last couple days, it’s grown huge and now has a mouth / inlet thing that appears to be filter feeding. The mass has grown around three of the zoa heads. It doesn’t seem to be particularly bothering them (I brushed the zoas closed to reveal this monstrosity) but I can’t imagine this is something I’d want to keep. I dipped, using revive, when I got it. Anyone know what this is? Interestingly, it’s flesh is identical in color (purple) to the zoas around it. Please ignore the aiptasia at the bottom…..he’s a work in-progress as well. Thanks!

E3304FA3-B15B-4E1A-8041-321620A1A651.jpeg F19CC3CA-753D-4D6B-A385-16E8214B8FC8.jpeg CBC0D8A1-7F11-4442-987D-67B0271FFA61.jpeg

OP
OP
HermanoToro

HermanoToro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponge or tunicate. Take it out, scrape it off, rinse and return Zoa’s to the tank.
Thanks! Thought it’s texture was off to be a sponge for sure. Not too familiar with tunicates, though. I appreciate your response

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Thought it’s texture was off to be a sponge for sure. Not too familiar with tunicates, though. I appreciate your response
Sim to sponges but where sponges have multiple ports, a tunicate has 1 input and 1 output. You can see it move/open close if you look carefully.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back