Weird markings on possum wrasse. Concerning?

Jdogg266

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this guy for over a year now and just last week these markings showed up on him. Nothing has changed in the tank in months.
Is this just a flesh wound?

47A0C213-E897-489D-9CB7-23060AA2583A.jpeg

OP
OP
Jdogg266

Jdogg266

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll list his tank mates.

1 spotted mandarin

1 blue mandarin

2 green chromis

1 regal tang

1 cleaner wrasse

12 clownfish

1 dragon face pipe fish

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks like something bacterial. i would keep an eye on it but mainly. . . . I would focus on water quality.
Hopefully youre not depending on an API test kits which are notorious for false readings
What is your readings for :
Ammonia
nitrate
PH
salinity
Tank Temp

OP
OP
Jdogg266

Jdogg266

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like something bacterial. i would keep an eye on it but mainly. . . . I would focus on water quality.
Hopefully youre not depending on an API test kits which are notorious for false readings
Ammonia
nitrate
PH
salinity
Tank Temp
I use API for ammonia and nitrite, which are both zero. My nitrates - on the nyos test kit - have been kind of high in the last couple of months. They went up to 80ppm, but now are at 20 still trying to get it to lower with lighter feeding and more waterchanges. My tank is definitely overstocked with clowns so it is really annoying to deal with.

PH - 8.0 - 8.3 always keep the room ventilated and use kalk.

Salinity 1.026 - refractometer

Temp 78 degrees.

OP
OP
Jdogg266

Jdogg266

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia
nitrate
PH
salinity
Tank Temp
So do you think it will go away with better water quality? I can set up a QT no problem if that's the best course.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So do you think it will go away with better water quality? I can set up a QT no problem if that's the best course.
Water quality and diet always a contributor to health. before anything and guessing you were using API, I strongly suggest getting a second reading on the important essentials (ammonia and nitrate) taking a water sample to a trusted LFS that does NOT use API kits for testing and see what readings they come up with.
I suspect false and much higher readings that caused this and you really need to know where the tank is actually at. A water change will help for now and I assume youre using RODI water ?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I use API for ammonia and nitrite, which are both zero. My nitrates - on the nyos test kit - have been kind of high in the last couple of months. They went up to 80ppm, but now are at 20 still trying to get it to lower with lighter feeding and more waterchanges. My tank is definitely overstocked with clowns so it is really annoying to deal with.

PH - 8.0 - 8.3 always keep the room ventilated and use kalk.

Salinity 1.026 - refractometer

Temp 78 degrees.
For nitrates, you can use a pouch of Chemipure elite will will lower and keep it in check for you

OP
OP
Jdogg266

Jdogg266

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water quality and diet always a contributor to health. before anything and guessing you were using API, I strongly suggest getting a second reading on the important essentials (ammonia and nitrate) taking a water sample to a trusted LFS that does NOT use API kits for testing and see what readings they come up with.
I suspect false and much higher readings that caused this and you really need to know where the tank is actually at. A water change will help for now and I assume youre using RODI water ?
The live rock in this tank is a decade old. I have about 140 lbs, but I don't doubt the ammonia could creep up with this many fish... All LFS near me use API, I'll just buy them which ones do you use?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The live rock in this tank is a decade old. I have about 140 lbs, but I don't doubt the ammonia could creep up with this many fish... All LFS near me use API, I'll just buy them which ones do you use?
I love Hanna. Salifert also very good

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 61 33.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back