Weird snail issue!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does anyone know why around 70% of my snails would flip upside down and be very lethargic to dying while others are still stuck to the glass and chugging along. I'm talking 50-75 bigger snails.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know why around 70% of my snails would flip upside down and be very lethargic to dying while others are still stuck to the glass and chugging along. I'm talking 50-75 bigger snails.
Is it a certain type of snail or completely random? Like Nerites are dying but not ceriths, or random types

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starvation and Dino’s do that to my snails. Is this is your 400? If so didn’t you just restart that?
-Zack

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have dinoflagellates on the sand/rocks, they will sometimes release toxins into the water which kill most (but not all) snails.

Sometimes other livestock are negatively impacted as well.

Run carbon ASAP.

Michael13567

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have dinoflagellates on the sand/rocks, they will sometimes release toxins into the water which kill most (but not all) snails.

Sometimes other livestock are negatively impacted as well.

Run carbon ASAP.

How quickly does this kill them? I believe I have Dinos in my tank and my snails are behaving lethargically, yet they have been this way for a while and they haven't died. This is the first time I've read this or I would have acted sooner.

Should add that they are nerite snails.

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How quickly does this kill them? I believe I have Dinos in my tank and my snails are behaving lethargically, yet they have been this way for a while and they haven't died. This is the first time I've read this or I would have acted sooner.

Should add that they are nerite snails.

If deaths are going to occur, it usually happens shortly after the initial outbreak.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back