Weird thing in water

RobinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No symptoms on my fish, but I've seen weird jellyfish swimming like critters in the water (after waterchanges). I cannot take a pic, but with a little hand held microscope, it seems that the closest thing I have found trying to research is trichodina? Does trichodina swim like a jellyfish? Under my crappy hand-held, it looked like it had dual stubby tenticles spaced all the way around the circular part. Mind you it was pretty big, about 2 mm.
The sponge-filter came from my macro-algae tank and is currently in my 30g set up for breeding clowns. The macro tank is connected to my main. So whatever it is, came with the sponge when I transferred it over. Any ideas?

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a short video of free-swimming stage of some type of hydrozoa from when I found some in QT one time:

OP
OP
RobinC

RobinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cannot get a clear enough shot. Side view swimming looks like a jellyfish, with an anemone like foot, or a mushroom. Swims up and down like a jellyfish, not sideways.
Just watched a video of the medusa hydroid swimming, it's upside down and not jerky like mine.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydroid Jellyfish
Screenshot_20230624_140316_com.android.chrome.jpg

OP
OP
RobinC

RobinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a short video of free-swimming stage of some type of hydrozoa from when I found some in QT one time:

In this video the rounder part propels it and follows, it mine, the wider part goes first not last. literally swims like this

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No symptoms on my fish, but I've seen weird jellyfish swimming like critters in the water (after waterchanges). I cannot take a pic, but with a little hand held microscope, it seems that the closest thing I have found trying to research is trichodina? Does trichodina swim like a jellyfish? Under my crappy hand-held, it looked like it had dual stubby tenticles spaced all the way around the circular part. Mind you it was pretty big, about 2 mm.
The sponge-filter came from my macro-algae tank and is currently in my 30g set up for breeding clowns. The macro tank is connected to my main. So whatever it is, came with the sponge when I transferred it over. Any ideas?

Sounds like a Medusa stage of some coelenterate to me, most likely a hydroid.

I’ve only seen Trichodina on FW fish, and they are much smaller ( < 200 micron) and I’ve never seen them free swimming.

Jay

OP
OP
RobinC

RobinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen another a month or so back, seems like I would be seeing them on my glass by now? Not sure what to do:( Thanks everyone, I'll be researching some more on hydroids, lol.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's not a Hydroid?
If you can get a couple of close up, clear pictures of it (particularly of the bell/umbrella and tentacles - preferably both from the side and and looking straight on at it from the bottom/below the tentacles), we might be able to ID it.

As it stands, it is most likely (almost certainly) in one of the four following categories: Cubozoa, Hydrozoa, Scyphozoa, or Staurozoa - this doesn’t tell us much about the ID though.

OP
OP
RobinC

RobinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I’ve no idea what it is. Found it in my nearly 3 year old dry rock tank, a month or so ago. :)
Unfortunately, I have figured out that they are indeed a type of hydroid....My sponge filter is now covered in them. Clownfish breeding tank, so they get a lot of food:( They are very small, and can easily be overlooked.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back