weird white area on Cryptocentrus cinctus

randalli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new Cinctus just moved in on 2 days ago. It's a pretty young one that hasn't found his Bellulus yet. Today I have noticed the red marked white spots. Does anyone have an idea what this could be? The spot in the back is dirty glas

Thanks in advance
IMG_5957.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new Cinctus just moved in on 2 days ago. It's a pretty young one that hasn't found his Bellulus yet. Today I have noticed the red marked white spots. Does anyone have an idea what this could be? The spot in the back is dirty glas

Thanks in advance
IMG_5957.jpeg
So the mark towards the front is just algae on the glass?

What other fish are in with it?
Is it eating well?

OP
OP
randalli

randalli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the mark towards the front is just algae on the glass?
No. The non-underlined mark near the back is algae. The two marked spots are what troubles me. The first between the Gill and the dorsal fin and the horizontal and vertical "scratch mark"looking in the middle.
What other fish are in with it?
2 Kauderni. Which are the most passive fish ever
1 Pseudo Fridmani - she's couldn't care less for anything but food .. .she's too old to chase anything
1 Ecsenius bicolor - he's of course chasing the Cinctus from time to time
2 dragonets - these are just minding their business

So yes, the bicolor is an anus to some extent.
Is it eating well?
it's the first time since Saturday that I see it. He seems to eat but he's too shy to actively swim for food. it's more like that he waits until things float into his mouth

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Thanks in advance
IMG_5957.jpeg
Please provide pics under white lighting
It’s hard to clearly see if bacterial or or even isopods

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. The non-underlined mark near the back is algae. The two marked spots are what troubles me. The first between the Gill and the dorsal fin and the horizontal and vertical "scratch mark"looking in the middle.

2 Kauderni. Which are the most passive fish ever
1 Pseudo Fridmani - she's couldn't care less for anything but food .. .she's too old to chase anything
1 Ecsenius bicolor - he's of course chasing the Cinctus from time to time
2 dragonets - these are just minding their business

So yes, the bicolor is an anus to some extent.

it's the first time since Saturday that I see it. He seems to eat but he's too shy to actively swim for food. it's more like that he waits until things float into his mouth
You may need to separate the blenny and the goby - if you are seeing any near misses, it may be much worse when you leave the room.

OP
OP
randalli

randalli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please provide pics under white lighting
It’s hard to clearly see if bacterial or or even isopods
I will try as soon as I have a clear view again. The Goby is staying hidden most of the time. And right next to the open pistol cave, too. It somehow isn't finding it even though its like 10cm from his hiding spot.

OP
OP
randalli

randalli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. I think these marks have been scratch marks from being chased around by the Blenny. The Goby is now fairly active, the scuffs are gone and it's actively chasing food and has even memorised feeding times already. Oh boy if any fish would pick up other vital things as fast as they pick up feeding times...
It's still hidden all day (luckily under a stone on the side where I usually sit so I can watch it easily) except for the feeding times and the night where it parties around the tank when the Blenny sleeps. Although it hasn't found one of the 4 very open entries to the pistol's home yet. All Gobies and shrimp have usually found each other within 1-3 days. Maybe this one is a bit too young still and it takes some time? Does anybody have information on the average age/size this particular Goby needs no have to move in with a pistol shrimp? Or is this one just a bit dumb? :grinning-face-with-sweat:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back