Weird white stuff on heater and intake canister filter?

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have some bryopsis/hair algae (don’t know since one of my turbo snail made a huge line in it on the back glass) and I never touched those 2 things to pull algae out.

The white fluff on the heater is peeling off. Yeah, don’t mind my spirorbids. They are everywhere in the tank. Is this a good sign or a bad sign? Or are these 2 things are not algae suitable? Also, my gha/bryopsis problem isn’t getting worse, but it’s stalling a bit. If you want better photos, I’ll be happy to provide them tomorrow as I kinda want to allow my fish to sleep. Why would bristle worms go in this? I’ve seen some hidding in there with detritus worms as well.

IMG_0096.jpeg IMG_0089.jpeg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle worms are beneficial detrivores.

The white scale on your heater is calcium carbonate. Due to elevated temperature on surface of heater, the water has exceeded its concentration of carbonate/bicarbonate alkalinity.

Because you are in a marine environment with your reef tank, you should seek to understand the laws of Nature. Carbon dioxide as a gas in the atmosphere will seek equilibrium with total carbonate alkalinity. On the opposite side of this dynamic equilibrium is limestone sediments (calcium carbonate) which buffers the alkalinity on the opposite side of pH.

I don’t need better photos to know your tank needs a robust crew of janitors, which includes you as the environmental steward.

From a classical thermodynamics point of view, your ecosystem is degrading into Chaos: ENTROPY

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle worms are beneficial detrivores.

The white scale on your heater is calcium carbonate. Due to elevated temperature on surface of heater, the water has exceeded its concentration of carbonate/bicarbonate alkalinity.

Because you are in a marine environment with your reef tank, you should seek to understand the laws of Nature. Carbon dioxide as a gas in the atmosphere will seek equilibrium with total carbonate alkalinity. On the opposite side of this dynamic equilibrium is limestone sediments (calcium carbonate) which buffers the alkalinity on the opposite side of pH.

I don’t need better photos to know your tank needs a robust crew of janitors, which includes you as the environmental steward.

From a classical thermodynamics point of view, your ecosystem is degrading into Chaos: ENTROPY
Thanks! I’ll clean it up or on Monday with my water change. My ph had dropped at 7.6 and stayed at this level for several months and my alk is varying between 5 and 9. And I just added a few more snails and avoid to add too many things since I don’t have a lid on yet. I ordered the netting and it should arrive on January 7. I’m glad that my photos were clear enough. I usually prefer my canon rebel t7 to shoot better picture (especially macro photography). I only avoid shrimps because of my lidless tank you know.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back