Weird Zoa behavior

Tonedeafviolinist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but my zoas have been doing the same thing and there is an aptaisia anemome growing in the middle of the colony. Is there a safe way to remove it?

20200526_120218.jpg

OP
OP
bcarl77

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemiclean treatment is now complete. Will see what happens in the next few days....

Sent in my follow-up ICP test to ensure all levels are falling back in line (Sr, Mg, and Iodine). Light have been slowing ramping up. Only other thing I can think of is back in January I beat cyano by shortening my photoperiod from 12 hours to 7 and worked back to about 9 hours (with reduced PAR levels as noted above). This could also be related to the light issues as previously mentioned. The lights are now running on an 11 hour period during the ramp.

OP
OP
bcarl77

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately not much change with the chemiclean. Maybe a little better but nothing huge.

84E6EB0A-D205-4BFA-8CB6-2B3B638D4DD4.jpeg 8168D960-DD71-4BF7-B445-DC419E04029E.jpeg C3BAFCBC-8BB6-4894-B8A0-49E7506A1FC6.jpeg

OP
OP
bcarl77

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did get my latest ICP back. The Zn is now minimal and Sr is back in line. Mg is also looking better and the new test kit is accurate. Based on the Iodine, Boron, and MO being high I am going to back off on fuel to get these back in normal range.

OP
OP
bcarl77

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do find it interesting that none of my larger polyp/longer stalked zoas are having issues. Starting to lean towards a light issue, combination of duration and intensity.

OP
OP
bcarl77

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually yes. They are getting elongated. All of the longer stem type zoas (Sunny D, Gobstoppers, Pink Zipper, etc.) seem completely fine, but they are reaching.

I do suspect as someone mentioned before the vermitid snails could have some blame.

Red Leader

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe. Although I've found that the ones that are shrinking are getting too much light and the ones that are reaching are not getting enough light. If they're shrinking immediately move them down and away from the light. Otherwise they'll literally disappear.

OP
OP
bcarl77

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to keep everyone updated on the progress. I have removed some of the original frag plugs from the rockwork. I removed the Vermitid snails that had worked their way between the polys and dipped in CoralRx. I placed them on the frag rack away from the rocks. That seems to have helped them.

I believe this is being caused by some combination of either Vermitid snails or amphipods. I had a bought of ich a while ago and have been fallow for a while. My pod population is completely out of control. So my hypothesis is the zoas are getting irrated due to chemistry/low light or vermitid snails which then lead them to getting irratated by pods to the point where they do not recover.

Went on a vermitid killing spree last night. If the decline continues I will begin removing some of the original frag plugs, dip and place in a coral QT with some water from the display.

OP
OP
bcarl77

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am at my end with these darn things. Thought I started to turn a corner but no, starting to see the same symptoms. Whats crazy is its only the small polyp style zoas. Sunny Ds growing like a weed, SPS full PE and growing faster than ever.

Here are the changes:
Dosed Sr (2ppm) for maintaining levels
Dosed Fuel (25ML, twice a week)
Added a small dose of Chaetogro

No significant changes to water parameters.

Davis Hill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoa problems stink. Some of my zoas showed some similar effects as yours and I think I tracked my problem down to the magnet on my frag rack was corroded and leaching who knows what into the tank (that would have probably shown on an ICP test, but I never sent one in), but I but I never noticed it because I never moved the rack around. And even still, the recovery process for the zoas that were effected has been slow (7-9 months later).

Hope things turn around for you, it is super frustrating.

OP
OP
bcarl77

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats odd is its mainly the smaller polyp zoas. All have a similar symptoms of the shrinking, pointed mouth, eventually expelling zoozanthelle through the mouth then death.

OP
OP
bcarl77

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the latest ICP test, and nothing stuck out to 'adjust'. I am contemplating another Chemiclean round to try to wake them back up.

At this point I am still thinking its either bacterial or amphipods. It is mainly affecting the smaller head zoas (Laser Lemons, Scrambled eggs, some bam bams). I have seen some issues with my nirvanas, and purple monsters.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back