OP
OP
newmonium

newmonium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clearing up nicely. Used the good old refractometer and got a salinity reading of 1.028. From what I'm reading, this isn't optimal but works fine. What do we think? Try and lower or leave it?
ff83bc3628607199f8f71502fb0f9f8a.jpg

OP
OP
newmonium

newmonium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleared up pretty good overnight. I figure it will be crystal clear after I put in the filtration. Speaking of, I'm thinking of filling my media basket with
Top: filter floss
Middle: bio media
Bottom: chemipure elite

Thoughts? Merry Christmas!
3f2c34da8d19778338e4fba946a85139.jpg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like granulated carbon and seachem purigen have that running in my reef. It did clear up nicely.

Going bare bottom?

Also use fraggles are in need of some nog;) and @Robin Haselden would take some southern comfort with it as well;)

OP
OP
newmonium

newmonium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like granulated carbon and seachem purigen have that running in my reef. It did clear up nicely.

Going bare bottom?

Also use fraggles are in need of some nog;) and @Robin Haselden would take some southern comfort with it as well;)
Trying to find dry Fiji pink or so moan pink locally to not deal with shipping during the holidays. No luck so far.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you want floss to be the first thing water passes through purigen last

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now in my AIO frag tank's media basket I have a filter pad(kinda like floss) and then nothing in the next two spots... Yea, I live on the edge. I used to use ROX 0.8 Carbon and a touch of GFO when I had more bio load on the tank but with just the urchin and shrimp in there now, I don't want to strip the water. I don't think there is any need for bio media in your basket, (it won't be enough to really make a difference, you'll have ~30lbs of "bio media" in the life rock) but I do have the second chamber filled with Marine Pure spheres for extra bio filtration. It's a two quart box split between my frag tank and the Deep Blue Sea.

Chemipure elite = activated carbon + GFO
Chemipure Blue = activated carbon + Purigen

They are kinda expensive to run compared to buying ROX and GFO in bulk from BRS, but easy because they come in certain sizes and you just pop it into your basket.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice find and with a apex! Have you thought about using marine pure ? I filled my overflow chamber with it.

edit
again late to the party

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a AIO and thought about using a bag of this, I think its the same just smaller.
eheim.jpg

Wurst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build! I went with Reef Cleaner's rock in my build too. John sent me 450# of some nice rock. Once I added some live rock it took maybe 2 months for dime-sized coralline algae spots to start spreading everywhere. Someone mentioned Dr Tim's in an earlier post in your thread. I used that stuff to start my cycle and it worked great. Have fun!

OP
OP
newmonium

newmonium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build! I went with Reef Cleaner's rock in my build too. John sent me 450# of some nice rock. Once I added some live rock it took maybe 2 months for dime-sized coralline algae spots to start spreading everywhere. Someone mentioned Dr Tim's in an earlier post in your thread. I used that stuff to start my cycle and it worked great. Have fun!
Thanks! I'm pretty excited!

OP
OP
newmonium

newmonium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Santa is waiting for young ones to go to sleep. While that happens, I'd love some help! The local lfs says this is a rock flower anemone. It was hosting a Clown 2 separate visits. From what I've read, they don't usually host clowns. Anyone know what type of anemone this is so I can research for Fraggle?
f1d2ced32323dc5558de4320c40a73be.jpg
b2121f9eb3d44b7215db17b50599b7a3.jpg

OP
OP
newmonium

newmonium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cool thing about the reef cleaners rock is it's free of organics. No organics means you don't have to worry about any decay. If he puts a small piece of actual wet live rock with established bio filter, reef cleaner and Dr Tim's, he probably will never see a cycle as long as he only adds a very small bioload, say a pair of clowns for the first two months. The bio filter in the LR plus the Dr Tim's will be enough to skip cycle the tank, but you can easily overload it.
Which Dr tims would I buy. Woukd you suggest that over biospira?

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moderate to strong flow and a good light and you are set

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back