Welcoming coral to your home!!! How do you add coral to your tank?

How do you add coral to your tank?

• Move the coral from the bag and place it directly into the display tank.

Votes: 37 11.7%
  • Dip process before placing the coral into the display tank.

Votes: 172 54.6%
  • Acclimate before placing the coral into the display tank.

Votes: 66 21.0%
  • Move the coral from the bag and place it directly into the quarantine tank.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Dip process before placing the coral into the quarantine tank.

Votes: 26 8.3%
  • Acclimate before placing the coral into the quarantine tank.

Votes: 8 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%

• Total voters

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably haven't added anything in a year or more. I dip then add. I got fed up with being overwhelmed with aiptasia buying from live sale vendors on seemingly clean frags.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah pretty basic: float for temp, dip and place in a spot i think is suitable for the type of coral for flow and lighting. I stick to certain vendors so par and placement is what i look at water quality will suit the coral so dripping i did once or twice but never again
Correct. Same here.

I would also add cutting the stem off of frag plug, or removing plug all together if possible for best placement. I always trim the plugs when dipping.

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly depends on where I'm getting the coral from and what type it is. If it's from my local shop and has been there for a week + and has been looking great, then I'll probably just acclimate for 15 mins then put it in the tank in an area of lower flow and lighting. Certain corals that I buy online, I'll dip first but not always. More sensitive corals like Elegance, I won't dip but I'll put them in a low light quarantine tank for a few months. Obviously, the latter is for special corals.

I voted option 3 as that's what I do most frequently, I'd say. I prefer the biodiversity I gain by not dipping.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I haven't added much coral to my tanks in the past couple years, but I usually acclimate and put directly in the display tank.
I used to quarantine new wild zoanthid colonies when I had a zoanthid dominated tank, but didn't really do that for my other display tanks.
One thing I learned ( the hard way) is I added a few new soft coral colonies to my 240 a few years ago from another hobbyist.
It was a couple days later I found out the guy was taking down his system because he had velvet and had lost most of his fish. He didn't tell when we met in Petco parking lot.
I soon lost about 1/2 of my fish.
I won't do that anymore.

TailspotBlenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a little surprised only 10% quarantine their corals. When I first started my previous reef tank, I had a deadly ich outbreak right after adding a mushroom rock and some snails. I hadn’t added a fish in at least 1-2 months.
I guess it must not happen that often if most don’t quarantine corals?

jroger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short 15min acclimation, then dip, then display tank. Most recently, Jedi Mind Trick monti.

Screenshot 2024-02-22 085432.png

TeeJay87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a little surprised only 10% quarantine their corals. When I first started my previous reef tank, I had a deadly ich outbreak right after adding a mushroom rock and some snails. I hadn’t added a fish in at least 1-2 months.
I guess it must not happen that often if most don’t quarantine corals?
It’s probably happened to about 10% of reefers then + a big % of reefers who left the hobby because of it.

mdrobc13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcoming coral to your home!!! How do you add coral to your tank?

Congratulations on the newly acquired coral! Let’s talk about how you move it into your system. Do you take many of the same steps that you would take with a new fish, or do you have a different approach for acclimating corals? Of course, it may depend on the type of coral, but if that is the case then let us know how you introduce different types of coral to your system. Some reef keepers dip all new coral, whereas other reef keepers don’t dip any of their corals (or maybe just certain types). Additionally, sometimes the corals are added directly to the reef tank and other times there is a quarantine tank used. An observation box within the tank is also a possibility.

Dempsey941_Favia.jpeg

Photo by @Dempsey941

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DinkinsLogo.png

“Dinkins Aquatic Gardens specializes in producing top-quality copepods, phytoplankton, amphipods, and berghia nudibranchs. We are a small husband-and-wife company that intensely focuses on customer service. We'd love to have you experience the Dinkins Difference!"
Dip and aerate gently to acclimate, rinse tank water than add to coral frag tray in my sump to acclimate a bit for a few days with cheap LED light and Kessel. Then move to main display tank later when ready and space. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back