Weld-on 4, weld-on 16 or super glue to fix a broken skimmer

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

So I was moving tanks and took my skimmer out to wash. It accidentally fell off the table and the plastic/acrylic between the pump and slimmer body broke. I see the tube that connect the pump to skimmer is fixed so my only solution is to reconnect the plastic from the pump to the skimmer body.

Question is which one would be better in this case….
Weldon 4
Weldon 16
Or superglue

Thanks
1699517249362.jpeg

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super glue. But see if you can get replacement parts

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would only use a Weld-On product.
Take the broken piece out of the pump. If it has a perfect fit ( no missing chips ), then I would use Weld-On #3 or #4. You will need to gst a needle applicator bottle to use these 2.
#16 will also work, but slower and a little messier( thicker) , but can be used right out of the tube.

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the broken piece out of the pump. If it has a perfect fit ( no missing chips ), then I would use Weld-On #3 or #4. You will need to gst a needle applicator bottle to use these 2.
#16 will also work, but slower and a little messier( thicker) , but can be used right out of the tube.
Ya I’ll fit it together and examine.

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super glue. But see if you can get replacement parts
I don’t think I can buy a replacement product since it’s a tube attached to the skimmer body. I can buy a new skimmer body but trying to avoid that

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had the same issue with a new Octo 5000 int skimmer a few years ago.
Weld On worked
Good to know. Ya would be a big waste if I had to buy new. Did you end up using Weldon 3/4 or 16?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This right here! That’s most solid advice you’ve been given… I do acrylic for a living lol..

John K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely WO.

Do understand that #3 and #4 are water thin solvents. They will melt the existing material together, and the remaining solvent evaporates. Great if the fit is near perfect. Not so great of there is any material missing or the break messy.

#16 is basically solvent with acrylic material dissolved in it, so it acts more like a conventional glue - it will fill gaps and fill in messy / irregular breaks.

You can always try #3 or #4, then go over it with #16 if you don't get a good end result.

For any of the above, if you haven't practiced on acrylic and different types of weld on in the past, I'd strongly recommend some practice on scrap material first. It's easy to make a mess if you don't know what to expect.

*Just trying to elaborate on the difference since that doesn't seem to have been addressed much here.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 2 broken skimmers and a refrigerator shelf that I fixed with Weld On. All three are still holding. I don't think super glue would have worked.

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This right here! That’s most solid advice you’ve been given… I do acrylic for a living lol..
Definitely WO.

Do understand that #3 and #4 are water thin solvents. They will melt the existing material together, and the remaining solvent evaporates. Great if the fit is near perfect. Not so great of there is any material missing or the break messy.

#16 is basically solvent with acrylic material dissolved in it, so it acts more like a conventional glue - it will fill gaps and fill in messy / irregular breaks.

You can always try #3 or #4, then go over it with #16 if you don't get a good end result.

For any of the above, if you haven't practiced on acrylic and different types of weld on in the past, I'd strongly recommend some practice on scrap material first. It's easy to make a mess if you don't know what to expect.

*Just trying to elaborate on the difference since that doesn't seem to have been addressed much here.
First of all thanks for all the advice. I’m sure it will help others as well.

So it would be ok to do 4 first and fix it with 16 if doesn’t work? I mean it’s only the skimmer which is gonna be hidden in the sump but I like clean jobs.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all thanks for all the advice. I’m sure it will help others as well.

So it would be ok to do 4 first and fix it with 16 if doesn’t work? I mean it’s only the skimmer which is gonna be hidden in the sump but I like clean jobs.
4 or 16 is fine.. if you use 4 you need a applicator bottle or needle syringe

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back