Well it happend again.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, velvet or what looks like velvet started showing up a week after new additions were added to the tank. I first noticed it Monday evening, my Purple tang was dusted with what looked like powered sugar, my PB tang showed it as well. So I made an unpopular choice of letting the fish go and then go fish less for 3 months and by then have a QT set up ready to go or purchase QT fish. Well its Sunday and the fish are noticeably better. They still have tiny white spots/bumps but nothing like the start. These fish are fat and healthy and have not slowed in appetite or movement. I have been feeding them almost a full sheet of nori w/garlic guard daily along with pellets and frozen twice weekly Rods or LRS.
The fish that have not showed symptoms are 3 BG chromis (survived last outbreak) a clown , a multicolored angle (new)
Those affected are PB tang (new) Purple tang and two hippos all fish are in the 3-4"
So im beginning to think Ick? What is the mortality rate? And nutrition? I don't want to upset the apple cart and stress / shock the fish with treatments dips so on. I would have to remove all the rockwork to catch these fish.
20200209_162707.jpg

20200209_162807.jpg

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Its hard to tell by the photos. Maybe post some better ones with the white light vs. blues.

Last edited:

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like ich since there were no deaths and the spots temporarily were better for several days. Plus based on the pics it’s easy to count the number of spots. You need to decide disease management vs eradication (humblefish thread). Recommend eradication.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry!

Having troubles following, were the fish QT before adding? How do you suspect it got into the tank?

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No QT on the new additions ;Sour I have been getting fish from this LFS for years and this is the first time I have ever had a problem.
I am currently weighing my options at this point, treat the entire system? Remove all the fish and qt, or let it run its course and never add anything of high value?;Chicken
I do have a 25 watt UV I plan on throwing on the tank to try to get this cleared up.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No QT on the new additions ;Sour I have been getting fish from this LFS for years and this is the first time I have ever had a problem.
I am currently weighing my options at this point, treat the entire system? Remove all the fish and qt, or let it run its course and never add anything of high value?;Chicken
I do have a 25 watt UV I plan on throwing on the tank to try to get this cleared up.
Go with QT and copper. Spend some $ and put a couple hours of work in and save your beautiful fish.

Back