Well that sucked

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent more of my sump than I did my display. High quality sump with redundancies and fail safes is paramount for peace of mind. I use a trigger

E8EFC6CC-46CC-47BE-AD6A-33E962AA0E6B.jpeg

64E96A43-3058-4E3F-9FE4-64DEB97F4990.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I spent more of my sump than I did my display. High quality sump with redundancies and fail safes is paramount for peace of mind. I use a trigger

E8EFC6CC-46CC-47BE-AD6A-33E962AA0E6B.jpeg

64E96A43-3058-4E3F-9FE4-64DEB97F4990.jpeg
Curious - why put Coral in a sump? A sump isn't a magic area - its just more water in a tank in which you can hide skimmers, etc. Not something to 'spend money on' or?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious - why put Coral in a sump? A sump isn't a magic area - its just more water in a tank in which you can hide skimmers, etc. Not something to 'spend money on' or?
That’s my display lol. The pink pic is my sump area

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank almost fell. My tank is placed on a carpet and when I walked past it, I bumped into it hard, and it tilted and started to tip over, luckily I supported it enough so I could push it back upright, but I did lose some water, 4-6 gallons of it. Scariest moment of my life!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank almost fell. My tank is placed on a carpet and when I walked past it, I bumped into it hard, and it tilted and started to tip over, luckily I supported it enough so I could push it back upright, but I did lose some water, 4-6 gallons of it. Scariest moment of my life!
That happened to me last year with a stock biocube stand. It was a nightmare. I went with a butcher table instead from crate and barrel. Works great

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m surprised nobody mentioned this.

Mold.

I would get some dehumidifiers in there ASAP. If there was enough water to make it through the walls, you WILL get mold in there which can be bad for your health. I know you don’t want to tell the landlord, but I wouldn’t call it a day after just wiping up the external water. Bare minimum, I would get dehumidifiers and cut a couple holes in your walls to get airflow into your wall space. Mold only takes 72 hours to form.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m surprised nobody mentioned this.

Mold.

I would get some dehumidifiers in there ASAP. If there was enough water to make it through the walls, you WILL get mold in there which can be bad for your health. I know you don’t want to tell the landlord, but I wouldn’t call it a day after just wiping up the external water. Bare minimum, I would get dehumidifiers and cut a couple holes in your walls to get airflow into your wall space. Mold only takes 72 hours to form.
Yea I moved after it happened. My wife couldn’t take the smell in the carpet. It doesent come out no matter how many pro carpet cleaners came in.

eraserhead187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 15g water change on my 20 long office tank around 745 pm. The sump holds around 10 gallons so I pump that out with an extra pump, then clean the display and take a couple gallons from there.

Everything was fine until about 10pm, and I hear water dripping. Now, I'm downstairs and it sounds like a waterfall. I thought it was my big tank so I go check and nothing. But then I see WATER DRIPPING FROM THE DINING ROOM DOOR FRAME.

I bolt upstairs, and I'm greeted by water everywhere!! Turns out the return line had somehow popped off the PVC it was attached to and the return pump had emptied the sump onto the floor. Got shocked when u went to turn off the electrical components. And the heater is shot, lucky I didn't burn the place down.

Clean up wasn't too bad. I got it so cleaned up in about 20 min. I thought "that didn't seem like 10g of water". Yeah, most of the water had made its way through the walls to the basement... ***!!

finally got everything cleaned up, started the loads of towels that need to be done.

And I'm gonna swap the 20 long for a standard 29 tomorrow. Gonna go bare bottom and just powerheads for water flow, no sump or hang on filter. I want to uncomplicate things after the disaster that was tonight.
I know the feeling, brother. Had a 200g freshwater big cichlids tank years ago. Did a 50% WC, which takes forever to fill. Went upstairs and totally forgot. Remembered an hour and a half later, bolted downstairs and landed in water at the bottom of the stairs. That was an insurance claim. Got all new floors, though!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the feeling, brother. Had a 200g freshwater big cichlids tank years ago. Did a 50% WC, which takes forever to fill. Went upstairs and totally forgot. Remembered an hour and a half later, bolted downstairs and landed in water at the bottom of the stairs. That was an insurance claim. Got all new floors, though!
Now that’s looking at the glass half full ;)

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah.. any time I do a "lets leave water running" thing, I usually set an alarm on my phone, or turn a light on that is normally off in the house, or do something else along those lines to remind me.

I also like to use those hose-bib watering timers for the cheapo-hose-sprinkler system. Then I can just set it for 60 minutes, and know that it shut off 2 hours later when I forgot I was filling a brute.

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now have solar panels on the house, no need to worry about power outages any more!

eraserhead187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah.. any time I do a "lets leave water running" thing, I usually set an alarm on my phone, or turn a light on that is normally off in the house, or do something else along those lines to remind me.

I also like to use those hose-bib watering timers for the cheapo-hose-sprinkler system. Then I can just set it for 60 minutes, and know that it shut off 2 hours later when I forgot I was filling a brute.
I sit there AND STARE AT THE WATER LEVEL WITHOUT BLINKING UNTIL IT'S FULL. My flooded ground floor wasn't the only time I did it. No damage the other time though.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back