Well today was quite the day

DinoMagnet

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 20, 2020
Messages
359
Reaction score
410
Location
orange county
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well today was an eventful day. Power went out at 4am pacific. It was scheduled to come back at 1pm, then it got pushed to 6pm. I had to scramble to find some backup battery packs to run one pump n heater at least. No luck! Finally a neighbor had a jumper box that has outlets 12v, usb, etc but it couldn’t support my heater! So now I’m at the 8hr mark of no heater water movement n so forth. At this point I’m losing my mind. Ended up seeing Lowe’s had generators in stock and $1000 later my fish are getting their environment back. Now just waiting for our power to be restored. What do you guys have handy in the event of a power outage? Is there more options than just a big generator?
 
Well today was an eventful day. Power went out at 4am pacific. It was scheduled to come back at 1pm, then it got pushed to 6pm. I had to scramble to find some backup battery packs to run one pump n heater at least. No luck! Finally a neighbor had a jumper box that has outlets 12v, usb, etc but it couldn’t support my heater! So now I’m at the 8hr mark of no heater water movement n so forth. At this point I’m losing my mind. Ended up seeing Lowe’s had generators in stock and $1000 later my fish are getting their environment back. Now just waiting for our power to be restored. What do you guys have handy in the event of a power outage? Is there more options than just a big generator?
There are, but you are into battery banks/ inverters etc to make it work....I have my sump pump set up on a battery back up with an inverter for example. This can be costly for a quality installation.
Is your new genset a 120/240 volt unit? Say around 30 amps? At the g note pricepoint I imagine it is....If so you can have a pony panel installed off your main panel, with inlet move your critical circuits into it and power this off your new gen when needed. This is what I have currently. A manual transfer switch (need to obviously be home to do this), and bingo.
Now that you have spent the coin on the gen , you may as well complete the job for a smooth transition without running cords etc all over the place. Probably cost you another grand to have things done as listed.
Another option if your generator is compatible is having a 30 amp 120/240v connection right off your meter. All your home circuits are then covered, and you would just need to watch your loading in terms of no stove, dryer use etc...cost is slightly more for that imo than the pony panel.
 
I have generator.
 
I have a 240 volt outlet in my garage if the power goes out I turn off the main bracker start my generator and plug it in to the outlet in the garage just can not run anything big in the house
 
I got tired of jumping through hoops, extension cords, "MacGuyver stunts" etc... bought this back in July and never looked back. Try fussing with cables, gas in sub zero weather and 2 ft of snow. Nah.. not anymore
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7515.JPG
    IMG_7515.JPG
    314 KB · Views: 3

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new