Wellington's Reef

MrWellington

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings all.
I thought I'd post some progress on my first deep-dive into this space. The plan is a 120G mixed reef tank, built-in. The tank is sadly still on backorder for six weeks now, but it's a SeaPora 120G (48x24x24) with low iron front/rear glass. This will be drilled peninsula style since this is built-in, and I will need access to the back wall often. It also makes plumbing into the sump much more efficient. (Straight down). My In-between time has been spent researching, reading, learning all about maintaining a reef, what to get, what NOT to get, and absorbing lots of great experiences from R2R.

Equipment acquired:
Neptune Apex with Trident,
Also Neptune - dual FMM's, an ATO, dual COR-15 return pumps, Water level probe, dual Link1's, flow sensors, optical sensors, water detection sensors, 6x DOS pumps.
2x Maxpect MP40's
2x Maxpect 330 Gyres
RedSea 1200 fleece roller
Octo 150INT skimmer (which will be fed via outside air through a homemade active carbon filter.)
40B sump with custom-made baffles (still in the design stages, but will be cut using a 20w laser which I decided earlier that "needed" because, you never know. :) )
2x 300W titanium heaters
7-Stage RODI with 2x 30 gallon food service holding barrels.
2x Reefi Uno 2.0 Pro lights
Synergy 16" V3 overflow
90 lbs Marco Rock
Lifeguard ProMax50 UV
Lifeguard QL-25 UV, picked up from Vetteguy, which I feel is a more appropriate size for a 120.

2000W battery backup system with 2x 100wh lithium batteries as I want most everything to run with full redundancy.

So First, while waiting for the tank, let's build a stand. The opening was existing, as it housed 2x 300 bottle wine chillers. In all honestly, the size opening determined the size tank. I originally wanted a 60" so all the gear can be hidden and it would create more "depth". But a 60" tank, I've discovered, are very hard to find, and would likely mean custom. So i dropped down to 48". Begrudgingly.

Anyway - since I'm no longer a big drinker, those had to go, leaving a gaping hole in the wall. Behind the tank is a utility room so I'm adding a floor drain directly beneath the tank... because **** happens.

start-resize.jpg

Adding the stand: (WAY over-built in my opinion)

build2.jpg

Then adding a front panels + trim. Also decided to start working on Aquascapes. That took over a month of walking away, then returning the next day to re-evaluate until I was satisfied. The panels and trim are not attached to the stand, as it will, of course, move.

build3.jpg

And now -- the rest of the stuff just sits and waits... :(

rodi-resize.jpg

stuff1-resize.jpg

stuff2-resize.jpg

To be continued... build1.jpg

Last edited:

CmMagenta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It looks like a great start! Looking forward to seeing the updates

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back