Wet Live Rock Survivability

Guns286

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m slooooowly getting to the point, in my aquarium build, where I will be ready to aquascape. My plan is to use 40% wet live rock and 60% dry inert rock (probably Marco). I’m hoping to order the wet live rock from KB Aquatics, which comes packaged it water, I believe.
I’d like to break up the Marco and reassemble it into whatever godaweful thing I can come up with. Then incorporate the wet live rock into the “sculpture”.
Since I won’t know what the live rock will look like, before I get it, I can’t preplan the design. So, I’m wondering how long a piece of wet live rock can survive out of water? What would be your process for incorporating the 2 rock types together?

Abarge16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had picked up some local live rock from a fellow reefer and took it home out of water in a styrofoam container I forgot I had it with after I stopped somewhere cranked the heater in the car a drove for an hour and half. It was 115 degrees inside the container rock was still moist. All the macro algea survived there was live pods and asterina stars I think as long as you dont let it dry completely you should be good for an hour or two

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Marco cement with live and dry. That cures pretty quick. Just cover the live with a wet towel. Back in the day we would get Fiji live rock wrapped in wet newspapers and stuff would still live.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Chk out Ryan’s talk from RAP NY. Great info. Even if u get the KP I’d cook it, dark cure before adding it and then add a nice mixture of pods to help w the ugly part of the cycle. U will b adding some ugly components but it’s limiting them and adding means to keep them in chk which will benefit u the most

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend 100% live rock!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back