Wet or dry rock.

Mrman2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in need of more rock but I am not sure if it's better to purchase wet or dry rock. Any ideas of what's better?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have live rock in my tank. I just need to add and I am not sure if it's a good idea to add others bacteria or just get dry.

I meant did you start with live or dry. If you started with dry, then stick with dry so you don't get any new pests. If you started with live then it doesn't matter except you risk bringing new pests in. If you get dry rock, make sure it wasn't from a previous tank or if it was make sure to cure it.

OP
OP
M

Mrman2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a tank from my father that he wasn't taking care of and no longer wanted. I had to bring it back to life, it had green and red algae. The tank was in horrible shape, I fixed it all up and it's doing great. I don't want any issues because it took me a while to fix all the problems it had. When I got it he hadn't done a water change in a few months. I have had it for a year and it's doing great. I want to add more corals but before I can I need to add rock first there just isn't enough.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a tank from my father that he wasn't taking care of and no longer wanted. I had to bring it back to life, it had green and red algae. The tank was in horrible shape, I fixed it all up and it's doing great. I don't want any issues because it took me a while to fix all the problems it had. When I got it he hadn't done a water change in a few months. I have had it for a year and it's doing great. I want to add more corals but before I can I need to add rock first there just isn't enough.

Ah ok. I personally always recommend dry rock but some needs to be cured (not hard to do though). Some companies sell pest free live rock though but its expensive.

OP
OP
M

Mrman2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He had the tank for about a year before I got it.

OP
OP
M

Mrman2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok. I personally always recommend dry rock but some needs to be cured (not hard to do though). Some companies sell pest free live rock though but its expensive.
Local pet store wants 15 a pound for what they say is pest free wet rock. I always question it because they say when I buy fish not to let the water into my tank. Why would letting there wet rock be any different. I didnt understand that.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Local pet store wants 15 a pound for what they say is pest free wet rock. I always question it because they say when I buy fish not to let the water into my tank. Why would letting there wet rock be any different. I didnt understand that.

The reason behind that thinking is typically tanks where they keep the firsh either have high nitrates and phosphates or something like copper in the system. It is pretty easy to cure old dry rock though.

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added some dry base rock to my system, no pests and much cheaper than live rock. It will assimilate everything it needs from all the existing live rock in the tank.

OP
OP
M

Mrman2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added some dry base rock to my system, no pests and much cheaper than live rock. It will assimilate everything it needs from all the existing live rock in the tank.
I think I am going to stick with dry rock sounds like a better option and much more safe

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 32.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back