What’s going on with my bleeding apple?

daniellegui1206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
I notice my bleeding apple is showing dark spikes and has some white champaca stuff on it. Does anyone know the cause for this? Attached is the picture.

Thanks!

Danni

940FB144-4632-4FC3-A980-59FEE8128813.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best to post all current parameters (don't just say they are good) and lighting being used. That way people can help rather than throwing darts at a board. Right now any advice would just be a shot in the dark.

OP
OP
D

daniellegui1206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jekyl,

I found the reason - it is too hungry as I haven't feed it for a week. After feeding, it got back to normal.

Thanks!

Danni

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jekyl,

I found the reason - it is too hungry as I haven't feed it for a week. After feeding, it got back to normal.

Thanks!

Danni
Hi Danni. Corals do normally inflate after feeding, But you could not directfeed that Scoly for the rest of its life and it shouldn't emaciate enough for the skeleton to start poking through. Something is likely amiss

OP
OP
D

daniellegui1206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Danni. Corals do normally inflate after feeding, But you could not directfeed that Scoly for the rest of its life and it shouldn't emaciate enough for the skeleton to start poking through. Something is likely amiss.

What should I do to check the root cause? Below are couple of things changed recently and attached are the APEX parameters. Will test the other parameters later.

1. we cleaned bio-reactor last week - it may take some time for it to kick in (per my husband).
2. we added two more fishes last week - definitely over stocked.
3. we tested nitrate last weekend and found it was very high - 40-50 (which may related to 1 &2 ). Then we did 10 gal of water change (for 40 gal tank) and dose the ZEO bak Microorganism solution and MicroBacter7 to lower nitrate. Also I try to feed less....

Attachments

• ALK.jpg
    ALK.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 29
  • APEX.jpg
    APEX.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Ca.jpg
    Ca.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Mg.jpg
    Mg.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 40

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should I do to check the root cause? Below are couple of things changed recently and attached are the APEX parameters. Will test the other parameters later.

1. we cleaned bio-reactor last week - it may take some time for it to kick in (per my husband).
2. we added two more fishes last week - definitely over stocked.
3. we tested nitrate last weekend and found it was very high - 40-50 (which may related to 1 &2 ). Then we did 10 gal of water change (for 40 gal tank) and dose the ZEO bak Microorganism solution and MicroBacter7 to lower nitrate. Also I try to feed less....
Unless you removed all of the media in the reactor and replaced with fresh, there shouldn't be a dwell time to "kick in" again. Only the initial colonization takes time. I add a 1/4 cup a month to mine. The existing media is still working while the new media starts up.

Do you have any dwarf angels?

Nothing is screaming issue to me with those test results.

How long have you had this Scoly in the same location?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still having nitrate in the 30 to 40 range is high. What about phosphate?

OP
OP
D

daniellegui1206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you removed all of the media in the reactor and replaced with fresh, there shouldn't be a dwell time to "kick in" again. Only the initial colonization takes time. I add a 1/4 cup a month to mine. The existing media is still working while the new media starts up.

Do you have any dwarf angels?

Nothing is screaming issue to me with those test results.

Ha~ my husband did replace all the media.....smart! I will tell him to copy what you do: replace a quarter of the media monthly! Any other tips to stabilize nitrate?

I don't have any angel - my tank is tooo small for that fish.

I used to put it on the sand. About one month ago, I got my diamond watchman goby, who constantly spill sand on this scoly - so I start to place it on a big rock.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still having nitrate in the 30 to 40 range is high. What about phosphate?
High arguably from ideal yes. High generally Enough to cause that sort of damage, I don't think so.

My Reef runs between 50 and 75 nitrates constantly. Brains do fine. Even coming out of thin nutrient systems and into mine.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha~ my husband did replace all the media.....smart! I will tell him to copy what you do: replace a quarter of the media monthly! Any other tips to stabilize nitrate?

I don't have any angel - my tank is tooo small for that fish.

I used to put it on the sand. About one month ago, I got my diamond watchman goby, who constantly spill sand on this scoly - so I start to place it on a big rock.
I don't even take any media out to replace. The natural tumbling will slowly wear away and make smaller your media. I add a quarter cup a month to keep up with the loss while in use.

Any idea what par is in that spot?

My Scoly HATES light. I had to start it in total shade and bring it out very slowly.

OP
OP
D

daniellegui1206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even take any media out to replace. The natural tumbling will slowly wear away and make smaller your media. I add a quarter cup a month to keep up with the loss while in use.

Any idea what par is in that spot?

My Scoly HATES light. I had to start it in total shade and bring it out very slowly.
I have no idea what’s the par. We use AI Prime 16. It is located at the back of the tank on a big rock (see attached pic). And you are correct that starving is not the reason for the stress…..cuz after I feed it yesterday and today, it still shows the spikes. Today we manually tested the water, below are the parameters

iron 0
Ca 500
Alk 8.7
Mg 1300
Nitrate 30
Nitrite 0.02
Ammonia 0
Salinity 35
PH 8.2

I also dose phyto and reef energy plus AB+ daily.

Danni

Attachments

• AC108363-3D16-4BF5-A4D6-6CBA9C60F6A0.jpeg
    AC108363-3D16-4BF5-A4D6-6CBA9C60F6A0.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 28

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 100 43.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 77 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back