What’s going on with my coral :(

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay! What did you do to have it recover?
What’s your singing voice like? (Scale of 1 to 10)

If you can’t sing, just keep an eye on it. Was the portion that turned white face down in the sand?

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Digitas are tough. Mine prefer moderate light and water flow . Nutrients are a must
What can cause what yours has?
-shading (area where light does not hit)
- alk spike
-low ph
- high salinity
- flatworm
- red bugs
- an area where sunlight in room reaches it and causes it to bleach

Why would sunlight bleach a coral? I have seen a number of people say this. I figured if you point a par meter into the sunlight that’s getting into the tank it would be very weak.

Just to clarify for the op. Montipora do get bugs but not red bugs, that’s what affect Acropora. Montipora get black bugs rarely and nudibranchs are mainly what eat them. They lay eggs so dips are not 100%.

I agree the sand could have done it. If the area of white keeps growing in the next few days I would personally cut the branch off so you have a backup.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Why would sunlight bleach a coral? I have seen a number of people say this. I figured if you point a par meter into the sunlight that’s getting into the tank it would be very weak.

Just to clarify for the op. Montipora do get bugs but not red bugs, that’s what affect Acropora. Montipora get black bugs rarely and nudibranchs are mainly what eat them. They lay eggs so dips are not 100%.

I agree the sand could have done it. If the area of white keeps growing in the next few days I would personally cut the branch off so you have a backup.
From the sunlight, the results come from increases in seawater temperature, particularly when associated with elevated levels of solar irradiance (e.g., ultraviolet radiation ) ,and in turn causes sudden bleaching. The sun in essence also heating the tissue. One of the conclusions of 2016 research from Northwestern University. . . . The researchers stated that light-scattering may contribute to coral damage, but this is because of the weakening of the coral from warming and sudden bright light.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back