What’s going on with my nitrates

RMMKD0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I’m not sure what’s going on with my tank. Last week my nitrates tested at 2.5 with salifert test kit, I tested again 5 days later and it was 0. I didn’t do any water changes and have not add anything In weeks. I feed my fish every other day, that hasn’t changed. This has happened a couple times now where nitrate seems to go through cycles where I get a reading then a week or two later it’s 0 then takes weeks to get a reading again. Does anyone have an idea what could be going on or how I could stabilize nitrates better

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is called denitrification. Anaerobic bacteria are converting nitrate into nitrogen gas. It is very good to be happening in your aquarium :)

You can dose nitrate, feed more, no w/c ect. Drifting from 2.5 to near 0ppm is very stable imo.

OP
OP
RMMKD0

RMMKD0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that makes me feel better lol. I thought something was wrong.. what had me worried was I lost all my lps frags I had in there to polyp bail out and I can not figure out what caused it. I did get an icp test and nothing was off. I was thinking the low/no nutrients may have been the factor

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that makes me feel better lol. I thought something was wrong.. what had me worried was I lost all my lps frags I had in there to polyp bail out and I can not figure out what caused it. I did get an icp test and nothing was off. I was thinking the low/no nutrients may have been the factor

Well yes, while denitrification is a good thing, having near zero or zero nitrates is not.

OP
OP
RMMKD0

RMMKD0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand I don’t want 0 my main concern was why nitrates seemed to disappear without doing water changes. I’ll just plan to feed more as I’d like to avoid getting into dosing nitrates.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand I don’t want 0 my main concern was why nitrates seemed to disappear without doing water changes. I’ll just plan to feed more as I’d like to avoid getting into dosing nitrates.

I don't think anyone can say exactly, beyond the simplistic idea that the tank is consuming more N than you are feeding it.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess feeding every other day would see nitrates do that...I would feed way more, lps are said to prefer higher nutrients., and your fish will thank you too.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%
Back