What’s next from Apex? (After Trident)

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am fine with my salinity probe for what it costs. There is no way to measure sodium chloride molecules in water aside from a mass spectrometer. The apex salinity probe is therefore measuring conductivity. There are lots of things you can put in water to make it more conductive, salt just happens to be what is in our aquariums. So it’s never going to be flawless, but my experience with the apex probe is pretty good. I agree calibration is tough, but it can be done. Air bubbles: every probe is susceptible to this. Yes even temperature if the bubbles accumulate right. There are a lot of people that have complained about this in this thread, but I don’t see it as that big of an issue. I really think most people would be happy if calibration was done properly (as stated i don’t use apex cal fluid) and measures are taken to avoid noise in the lines. I don’t let any of my probe lines run by power lines.

just my two cents.
After several weeks my probe settled in and has been pretty consistent. Over the last 24 hours it has varied from 61.2 to be 61.8, and if you overlay the temperature graph on top of the salinity graph, they match up almost perfectly. Of course what I learned a while ago is that I really don't need to follow the salinity, so I just have it as a failsafe to catch a catastrophic problem with my ATO

Reefer1464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d really like to see more probes to monitor my tanks parameters and see them improve the salinity probe and... get me my trident! Lol
Fully agree, for such a smart expensive setup you would expect a better salinity probe. Some of these cheap ones on the market are more accurate.

behold81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better uk pricing.

Eb8 for the uk

More dc accessories. Modular fans maybe with speed control.
Better BoB switch module. I know they have the ATK for a flood. But maybe sell switches and optical or manual floats on a proper cable. No screw down.

Publish a full API

I could go on.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to see a battery backup, I currently use a ups but would prefer something like my Ecotech battery backup. I must be one of the rare that has an accurate/stable salinity probe.

John-Reefworks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my aquarium maintenance company I run several APEX systems that I only see weekly.
So for my side of it I would like.
An ammonia probe to me that's one of the first signs something is going wrong.
A smoke detector that can just plug in. I know people have added one but it would be an easy sell to clients.
Test kits particular to each client I'm constantly switching from API to hanna to sallifert and I usually forget.
Battery back up for sure.
I imagine a skimmer is on the cards. Maybe that ramps up in power slowly so as not to overflow and senses water height in the chamber and could adjust accordingly.

twreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After spending $1,000 on APEX, I just want pH and Salinity probes that are accurate. Can I get accurate probes? Is that too much to ask? APEX has been zero help. I was screwed, but I do have a fancy expensive power strip.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After spending $1,000 on APEX, I just want pH and Salinity probes that are accurate. Can I get accurate probes? Is that too much to ask? APEX has been zero help. I was screwed, but I do have a fancy expensive power strip.

You weren’t screwed, because you had access to literally hundreds of pages of documentation on this site and others talking about the probes and their limitations.

And if you went off and impulsively bought a $1000 anything without researching first, then it’s not exactly fair to blame someone else.

But yes, I also agree, that price point should come with better probes.

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd rather them make sure their current products work correctly than spend time developing the Trident. Failed Cor 20, 2 failed DOSs...good times.

You weren’t screwed, because you had access to literally hundreds of pages of documentation on this site and others talking about the probes and their limitations.

And if you went off and impulsively bought a $1000 anything without researching first, then it’s not exactly fair to blame someone else.

I'm fine with the accuracy on mine but if you advertise "lab grade" there are certain expectations. Just because you can find lots of info of other customers that have seen issues doesn't mean a company get's a pass on selling a product that doesn't live up to it's marketing. (stating this in general as I'm reasonably happy with my apex at this point)

juanmanuelsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd rather them make sure their current products work correctly than spend time developing the Trident. Failed Cor 20, 2 failed DOSs...good times.

I'm fine with the accuracy on mine but if you advertise "lab grade" there are certain expectations. Just because you can find lots of info of other customers that have seen issues doesn't mean a company get's a pass on selling a product that doesn't live up to it's marketing. (stating this in general as I'm reasonably happy with my apex at this point)
Well... The only probe that gives me trouble it's the salinity one. The others seems pretty accurate.

But nothing that some cleaning and calibration can't handle.

I would start with that...

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well... The only probe that gives me trouble it's the salinity one. The others seems pretty accurate.

Those probes for me (and many others) seem to be accurate but not precise. Calibration on either get's me reasonably close, but I know that the real value is always about .4 higher on PH and about 1 lower for SG. That's tolerable for me because I can still monitor changes, but I can definitely understand frustration from people who didn't know that going in.

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Those probes for me (and many others) seem to be accurate but not precise. Calibration on either get's me reasonably close, but I know that the real value is always about .4 higher on PH and about 1 lower for SG. That's tolerable for me because I can still monitor changes, but I can definitely understand frustration from people who didn't know that going in.

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Understood.and agreed with. I’d rather they do something a bit more robust with the BOB and not rely on a shared ground. But then, I didn’t buy an apex bob, I’m diying one with individual grounds and push contacts the way it should have been. I’ll actually save $10, but trade a couple hours of my time.

Re: probes. A lab grade probe only stays lab grade if it’s attached to other lab grade stuff, and treated like a lab instrument.

A sump on a reef tank isn’t exactly the ‘lab’ environment it was built for. However, if you did build the sump to be a more lab like environment- no bubbles, good but not turbulent flow, no particulates, electrical shielding of a short data wire- I’m very sure it would perform to lab spec. Because I use inexpensive probes in that setting in my day job and they work. An accurate $50 probe isn’t hard- keeping it accurate in a non-lab environment is.

We are hobbyists working on creating a complex, dirty, environment that contains fish poop and organic waste in our homes. We need to set expectations on what our hobbyist level equipment can achieve, despite the marketing.

OP
OP
GK3

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I really think there are a lot of people missing salinity probe limitations (in general not just apex). First of all, it’s a conductivity, not salinity. So if i go dump super fine iron or aluminum particles in my tank, the salinity probe is going to show a much higher salinity level. Secondly, bubbles are killer for these probes so this will cause crazy readings. Temperature has huge affects. And as someone stated before, our tanks aren’t labs, so algae and fish crap on the probe will affect The readings as well. IMO the probe is going to get you close and let you know if something is off, but it’s never going to pinpoint your salinity levels. I am happy with my +/-.04 reading.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back