What’s Next?

Reefer Matt

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
May 15, 2021
Messages
11,237
Reaction score
42,946
Location
US
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As this tank approaches its sixth year in a few months, I am both grateful and satisfied with its success. It has been a rollercoaster of a journey which has taught me invaluable lessons in my reef keeping. From dinos to hair algae, to fish and coral death, it has seemingly seen it all. This is just one of five tanks in total, but is my only reef display tank. So I am left wondering what’s next for this unassuming 75 gallon SPS tank ? :)

IMG_7482.jpeg
 
Absolutely stunning and what a wonderful journey! One thing that the tank has seen yet - tomorrow. All the best with whatever direction you choose!
 
Absolutely stunning and what a wonderful journey! One thing that the tank has seen yet - tomorrow. All the best with whatever direction you choose!
Thanks! Every day is certainly an adventure, for sure!
I say 10 years as a growing thriving beautiful sps reef.
That sounds like a good goal to me! It’s pretty much a bonsai tank at this point, but I don’t have any more room for the frags! Lol! I guess that’s a good problem to have though.
 
Currently struggling with hair algae. I've heard a lot of conflicting advice on how to deal with it, how did you get rid of it?
Thanks
I pulled out the long stuff, scrubbed the rocks with a toothbrush, and siphoned it out. Then I added a lot of snails, and a few urchins. I think I added about 80 astrea snails and 4 urchins. They keep it in check now, and I top off their numbers when needed.
 
I pulled out the long stuff, scrubbed the rocks with a toothbrush, and siphoned it out. Then I added a lot of snails, and a few urchins. I think I added about 80 astrea snails and 4 urchins. They keep it in check now, and I top off their numbers when needed.
That's a lot of astrea snails :astonished-face:
 
I pulled out the long stuff, scrubbed the rocks with a toothbrush, and siphoned it out. Then I added a lot of snails, and a few urchins. I think I added about 80 astrea snails and 4 urchins. They keep it in check now, and I top off their numbers when needed.
Thank you, I think I'm going to get an urchin soon, and I'll pull out all I can.
 
That's a lot of astrea snails :astonished-face:
Yup, but I get them for about 50 cents each from local swaps. They mow down on algae, they just need the numbers to make a noticeable difference. I aim for one critter per gallon. The urchins I count as five snails.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new