ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Never seen that before.

@ISpeakForTheSeas , any ideas?
I can’t see the “fuzzy” parts well enough to be sure, but I’m almost positive this is a Sabellariid worm, possibly a Phragmatopoma sp. (Sandcastle Worms); I’m a lot less confident on the genus at this point than the family, but it should have an operculum (basically a body part trap door it can close itself into its tube with), and the morphology of the operculum can be used to help determine the genus. Regardless, if it’s from the Sabellariidae family, then it should be a harmless filter feeder (it would be considered a type of Feather Duster Worm).

Some of the species in the family are colonial, and the colony’s tubes can form reefs - they’re one of my favorite kinds of inverts.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see the “fuzzy” parts well enough to be sure, but I’m almost positive this is a Sabellariid worm, possibly a Phragmatopoma sp. (Sandcastle Worms); I’m a lot less confident on the genus at this point than the family, but it should have an operculum (basically a body part trap door it can close itself into its tube with), and the morphology of the operculum can be used to help determine the genus. Regardless, if it’s from the Sabellariidae family, then it should be a harmless filter feeder (it would be considered a type of Feather Duster Worm).

Some of the species in the family are colonial, and the colony’s tubes can form reefs - they’re one of my favorite kinds of inverts.
But it looks like a pincher coming out of the shell...

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it looks like a pincher coming out of the shell...
Yeah, the closest I can find at the moment is Idanthyrsus pennatus (only a handful of images pull up if you search the species on Google - about four of the images show a claw-like shape; three have white worms, one has a black specimen).

Regardless, OP, it may help to pull the snail out in a bowl of tank water and snap some pics of the critter (assuming it withdraws into its tube to hide during the process, taking a straight-on pic of the tube’s entrance may be informative as well).

OP
OP
JonnyDabs710

JonnyDabs710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried really hard to get some type of picture of this guy, sorry in advance. You’re Gunna have to zoom in because the camera won’t focus very well

Attachments

• IMG_0049.jpeg
    IMG_0049.jpeg
    157.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0048.jpeg
    IMG_0048.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 77

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the closest I can find at the moment is Idanthyrsus pennatus (only a handful of images pull up if you search the species on Google - about four of the images show a claw-like shape; three have white worms, one has a black specimen).

Regardless, OP, it may help to pull the snail out in a bowl of tank water and snap some pics of the critter (assuming it withdraws into its tube to hide during the process, taking a straight-on pic of the tube’s entrance may be informative as well).
Very cool!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ISpeakForTheSeas if it is Idanthyrsus pennatus would that be a keeper or a cause for concern? I can’t find much information on them. The couple of pictures on google kind of looks like it.
Yeah, so Idanthyrsus pennatus is a Sabellariid worm; like I said in my first post, I'm not entirely sure on the genus/species of the worm (though an Idanthyrsus sp. seems like a pretty good guess to me at this point), but any Sabellariid worm is going to be a harmless/beneficial filter feeder.

So this worm would be a keeper and no cause for concern - it's literally a type of feather duster tube worm, so it's just going to hide in it's sand tube and feed on tiny particles like phytoplankton.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, so Idanthyrsus pennatus is a Sabellariid worm; like I said in my first post, I'm not entirely sure on the genus/species of the worm (though an Idanthyrsus sp. seems like a pretty good guess to me at this point), but any Sabellariid worm is going to be a harmless/beneficial filter feeder.

So this worm would be a keeper and no cause for concern - it's literally a type of feather duster tube worm, so it's just going to hide in it's sand tube and feed on tiny particles like phytoplankton.
Why does everyone else find these hitchhikers? I only find bristleworms and sea spiders

OP
OP
JonnyDabs710

JonnyDabs710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Awesome, thank you for your time and help. Just 4 months in so I tend to worry a bit too much.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back