What’s that smell?

A_Blind_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 13, 2019
Messages
3,020
Reaction score
3,828
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the day, one of my little workplace shenanigans was to hide certain perishable food items in people’s work trucks. I would come in early, before anyone else, and place that piece of chicken, fish (whatever I thought might give off a pungent smell after a few days) in a nice hiding spot.

Level 1 was just under or behind a seat. Level 2 maybe I’d pop a door panel. Level 3 maybe I’d pop off an ac vent…. You get the picture. I wouldn’t want the smell to billow all at once, typically I’d use a ziplock baggie that I punctured with a fork a few times for that nice, slow cooked aroma. Just a hint of flavor at first, but it would build day by day…until they had to tear the truck apart to find the culprit. It was a powerful motivational tool for the guys to keep their trucks clean.

Another fun project was stink bombs behind the gas pedal. That was for those lead foot drivers. Just a gentle reminder to mind your driving habits.

That was years ago. A time when one could play a prank and not go to jail.

Why do I bring this up in a reefing forum? Well, last week I thought I noticed a slight whiff of something as I took the garbage out through the garage. A few days later, I caught a slightly stronger whiff. Today I went into the garage to get tools to clean up all the leaves in the front yard…..and yeah, I thought for sure something had died. It was pretty bad. After a lot of searching and cursing I finally figured that It was emanating from my pile of cardboard boxes (I toss any amazon, chewy, boxes in the garage until I can spend a minute to cut them up and shred them).

After quite some time and frustration I finally found the culprit. It was the insulated box with dry ice that my recent PE Mysis frozen flat packs came in. Between being blind as a bat, too lazy to count, and the cats being overly curious about the dry ice vapor, I guess I missed one single mysis flat pack.

Oh it brought back memories (thus the storyline). A sealed cheap ziplock baggie, a garage that’s been in the mid seventies/low eighties, a perfect scenario for that slow roasted aroma!

Note to anyone else that might be blind and have motor issues, maybe ask for help if you run into something like this…. You don’t want to injure yourself while trying to find the rotting corpse in your garage, don’t ask how I know.

I guess this is payback for my workplace shenanigans!
 
I recently left a pack of frozen tank food on top of the spare freezer that is by the back door and the laundry room. We had the same multi-day scentual experience until I finally realized that some of my new cubes that I had brought home from the LFS were missing? I'm not blind, just short and I can't really see the top of the freezer without a step stool.
 
I recently left a pack of frozen tank food on top of the spare freezer that is by the back door and the laundry room. We had the same multi-day scentual experience until I finally realized that some of my new cubes that I had brought home from the LFS were missing? I'm not blind, just short and I can't really see the top of the freezer without a step stool.
Ha! This makes me feel a little better! I imagine that had this been inside the house, the smell would still bother me long after the offender was found and cleaned up. At least in the garage it was only noticeable out there. I bet someone was not thrilled with your little science experiment! Ha. Luckily, for all the women out there, I’m a bachelor and no one else (other than pets) have to deal with me! Ha
 
Back in the day, one of my little workplace shenanigans was to hide certain perishable food items in people’s work trucks. I would come in early, before anyone else, and place that piece of chicken, fish (whatever I thought might give off a pungent smell after a few days) in a nice hiding spot.

Level 1 was just under or behind a seat. Level 2 maybe I’d pop a door panel. Level 3 maybe I’d pop off an ac vent…. You get the picture. I wouldn’t want the smell to billow all at once, typically I’d use a ziplock baggie that I punctured with a fork a few times for that nice, slow cooked aroma. Just a hint of flavor at first, but it would build day by day…until they had to tear the truck apart to find the culprit. It was a powerful motivational tool for the guys to keep their trucks clean.

Another fun project was stink bombs behind the gas pedal. That was for those lead foot drivers. Just a gentle reminder to mind your driving habits.

That was years ago. A time when one could play a prank and not go to jail.

Why do I bring this up in a reefing forum? Well, last week I thought I noticed a slight whiff of something as I took the garbage out through the garage. A few days later, I caught a slightly stronger whiff. Today I went into the garage to get tools to clean up all the leaves in the front yard…..and yeah, I thought for sure something had died. It was pretty bad. After a lot of searching and cursing I finally figured that It was emanating from my pile of cardboard boxes (I toss any amazon, chewy, boxes in the garage until I can spend a minute to cut them up and shred them).

After quite some time and frustration I finally found the culprit. It was the insulated box with dry ice that my recent PE Mysis frozen flat packs came in. Between being blind as a bat, too lazy to count, and the cats being overly curious about the dry ice vapor, I guess I missed one single mysis flat pack.

Oh it brought back memories (thus the storyline). A sealed cheap ziplock baggie, a garage that’s been in the mid seventies/low eighties, a perfect scenario for that slow roasted aroma!

Note to anyone else that might be blind and have motor issues, maybe ask for help if you run into something like this…. You don’t want to injure yourself while trying to find the rotting corpse in your garage, don’t ask how I know.

I guess this is payback for my workplace shenanigans!

Funny story.

A box that once held frozen shrimp started to smell after being left, unrefrigerated.

Imagine that! 😉
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 27.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new