What’s this? Please.

ChiefZero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
Found this on my LR a long time ago but thought it was alive and little by little it has moved/extended. I’m not really worried about it being dangerous just curious what it is.
It’s a reddish brown and it hard from what I can tell. It moves, though it’s like a tree, you can’t see it moving.
It’s the thing in the middle and kinda looks like a shell from the bottom.
5B1B0DDB-10FF-425D-BB8D-889EC6C35E8D.jpeg

Any help is appreciated.

Ps. I wonder if it’s a worm or a kind of coralline algae.

OP
OP
ChiefZero

ChiefZero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t extend off the rock, just on the rock. Would it be that still?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
+1 on vermetid
Vermetid snails form tubes that resemble that of tube worms, and they are actually stationary gastropods whose shells are cemented to hard substrates. They cast out mucus nets from the ends of their open tube shells which act like a sticky trawling net trapping plankton and detritus that passes by.
There are no proven predators for vermetid so reefers should try to manually eradicate them when spotted. While vermetid snails don't always cause immediate harm to reef tanks especially when there is only a couple of them, don't ignore them because they can multiply like mice and become a big problem.
There is some success with control using mithrax crabs, hermit crabs, and coris wrasse or six-line wrasses. A best defense to kill vermetids include covering the ends of their tube openings with superglue gel, reef-safe epoxy, and injecting muriatic acid.

OP
OP
ChiefZero

ChiefZero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the little crab legs under that rock? Something you added or hitchhiker?
Hmmm. I don’t see what you are talking about but I do have some hermit crabs and an emerald crab.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 25 86.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 6.9%
Back