What’s this thing taking over my tank?

Jay-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please help me find out what’s this “worm” like thing taking over my rocks and corals? Should I be worried?

IMG_5822.jpeg
IMG_5820.jpeg
IMG_5819.jpeg

OP
OP
J

Jay-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely a sponge. Are your lights making it purple?
No, the purple thing you see in the picture is a little GSP frag I had, I’m almost convinced that the “worms” around it killed it, because shortly after I took those pictures (2 weeks ago) the GSP stopped opening up until today. I’ll try to take a better picture.

Attachments

• IMG_6016.jpeg
    IMG_6016.jpeg
    194.9 KB · Views: 59

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's the little white puffs you're talking about, Pineapple sponges. Technically harmless filter feeder. But if you don't like them you can remove them.

OP
OP
J

Jay-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's the little white puffs you're talking about, Pineapple sponges. Technically harmless filter feeder. But if you don't like them you can remove them.
what about these ones that looks like worms?

Attachments

• IMG_6017.jpeg
    IMG_6017.jpeg
    760 KB · Views: 57

FyreTex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching this post because that would freak me out if it was in my tank. I hope somebody has an answer.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ID doesn't matter though. only action set choices such as

-do nothing
-remove each rock, surgically scrape and clean that off from every visible surface, setting rocks back
if some is on the sand, cleaning it out too, because you didn't want to take a chance on a tank invasion. ID does not matter in the option set

this relates to all reef invasions, not just sponge ones. ID has nothing to do with tank invasion work. when it comes to sponges and tunicates, some are invasive and some aren't

some die back, and some dont. choosing option one relies on luck in several steps

choosing option 2 is taking control over a reef tank, without luck. anything that grows back fast after you've cleaned it was clearly going to be an invasion...the initial cleaning is how you gauge your enemy

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about these ones that looks like worms?
Those are sponges too, though a different kind than the pineapple sponges. Based on the growth, they seem to be invasive (not necessarily harmful, but they could be).

As a general rule of thumb with sponges, if they’re not growing over and smothering corals, they’re most likely harmless.

With invasive ones like this, they’re typically still harmless, but some of them can end up smothering corals, so I usually suggest getting rid of them too. For removal of the sponges:
if you can do this is a bowl of saltwater out of the tank (I don't recommend adding the water to the tank after) and rinse with clean saltwater (not from the bowl) afterwards, that would be even better.
The best way I've heard to control sponge growth at this point is to use a steel straw to scrape and siphon out the sponge you want to remove. Sometimes you can create bad conditions for them and kill them off that way, but that's typically much harder and not always effective.

Some other sponge removal methods:
Other suggestions include exposing the sponge to air (obviously not a guaranteed solution, and definitely not viable for this situation); hydrogen peroxide dipping the sponge (again, not viable here); injecting the sponge with hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, boiling water, or air; microbubbles in the display; and a few more. Predation is not usually a good solution for this issue
Basically, if the sponges have enough food and enough trace elements (which for most sponges includes silicates) to meet their needs, then you’ll see their populations booming.

If you can figure out what’s allowing them to thrive in your tank, then you can deal with that root cause and get rid of them.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
though not the same invasion type I threw out a ten year old acan frag last year/white sponge on bottom that came back after twenty removal attempts. I guess there's a hidden optn 3: don't own any surface with an invasive sponge.

OP
OP
J

Jay-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are sponges too, though a different kind than the pineapple sponges. Based on the growth, they seem to be invasive (not necessarily harmful, but they could be).

As a general rule of thumb with sponges, if they’re not growing over and smothering corals, they’re most likely harmless.

With invasive ones like this, they’re typically still harmless, but some of them can end up smothering corals, so I usually suggest getting rid of them too. For removal of the sponges:
Amazing information brother, thanks a lot!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 128 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.4%
Back