What’s up with my acan

thebigfryfry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. My acan doesn’t come out like it used to and I was wondering if you knew how to remedy it. Also parts of the tissue in between polyps are dying all my other corals seem fine. It stills brings its feeder tentacles out at nighttime. I just tested my Nitrates and they are pretty low about 0.2ppm I have dosed some sodium nitrate solution to raise it I will see how it goes.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
thebigfryfry

thebigfryfry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no improvement during the day but the acan has its feeding tentacles completely out and is a very reactive feeder at nighttime . It is quite confusing could high flow be annoying it as well ? My nitrates are about 3ppm and for phosphate I don’t know because my test kit expired but I should have a hanna 774 in a couple days

OP
OP
thebigfryfry

thebigfryfry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no improvement I dont know what to do. It seems to be dying in between the polypls all other corals are fine. Thinking of moving it to a lower flow area ,yes or no?

OP
OP
thebigfryfry

thebigfryfry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed when I picked up the colony to move it there were many bristles worms living on the underside . Could these be irritating it?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a pic from today? Lets see what it looks like now. Nitrate still very low at 3, as mentioned above, try to bring up to 10-15 ish.

Have you tried to feed it?

I doubt its flow or bristleworms bothering it. I have strong flow in my tank and we all have bristleworms, so its something else.

OP
OP
thebigfryfry

thebigfryfry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have tried to feed it at night and its feeds readily it loves mysis. It looks normal at night just retracts when the lights come on. I’m out of sodium nitrate to raise nitrate and something in my tank has already brought nitrates back down to about 1.5ppm. I having a hard time keeping nitrate in my tank. I want to feed more but idk if that will affect the phosphate and I won’t know my phosphate until my hi774 comes in.

OP
OP
thebigfryfry

thebigfryfry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still no improvement. It hasnt deteriorated to my eyes. Should I try and feed it. Ive put in a low flow and low light area of the tank. It has been like this for months, its grown new polyps recently though. I really dont know what else to do.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still no improvement. It hasnt deteriorated to my eyes. Should I try and feed it. Ive put in a low flow and low light area of the tank. It has been like this for months, its grown new polyps recently though. I really dont know what else to do.
Keep feeding it mysis 2-3 times a week. I think you are doing all the right things.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back