What’s wrong with my favia

RMMKD0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I purchased this favia about 1 month ago and I’ve noticed it looks like it’s either losing flesh or bleaching.
I tested my water today and everything is as follows
Alk-8.0
Cal-430
Mag-1350
No3-5
Salinity is 1.025
I do not have a Po4 test so I do not know that value. It’s under around 100-110 par and is in lower flow. I feed it about 1-2 times per week. What else can I do to help it.

30001C82-63C4-494B-9F3B-AA62FEFC3878.jpeg image.jpg

OP
OP
RMMKD0

RMMKD0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the ai prime 16hd light and it’s about 12 inches off the water running
UV and V is 80
RY and B is 65
G and DR is 4
CW is 11

OP
OP
RMMKD0

RMMKD0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the ai prime 16hd light and it’s about 12 inches off the water running
UV and V is 80
RY and B is 65
G and DR is 4

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually when I see flesh turning light/bleaching along the areas receiving the most intense light I suspect too much PAR. How far down in the tank is it? You're sure it's only 100 Par roughly? Do you see tentacles come out at night?

Personally I would try reducing light 30% and finding out what your phosphate is. Could be a nutrition issue even if you are feeding once or twice a week. So might be worth upping that to 3 or 4 times a week at night when the feeding tentacles come out. Not very big polyps so small food items.

You might also consider changing the spectrum a bit to more blue and royal blue and less uv/v or just dropping the uv/v down and leaving the others as is so you don't further increase par.

OP
OP
RMMKD0

RMMKD0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually when I see flesh turning light/bleaching along the areas receiving the most intense light I suspect too much PAR. How far down in the tank is it? You're sure it's only 100 Par roughly? Do you see tentacles come out at night?

Personally I would try reducing light 30% and finding out what your phosphate is. Could be a nutrition issue even if you are feeding once or twice a week. So might be worth upping that to 3 or 4 times a week at night when the feeding tentacles come out. Not very big polyps so small food items.

You might also consider changing the spectrum a bit to more blue and royal blue and less uv/v or just dropping the uv/v down and leaving the others as is so you don't further increase par.
I rented a par meter and took readings before I bought this coral so I’m fairly certain it should be accurate par levels. I do still see it extending feeding polyps so I will try to feed more often. As far as the light settings, I used what BRS recommended just dialed back. I believe it was to mimic the ATI blue plus bulbs. I will turn them down a little bit and continue to feed 3-4 times per week. I will most likely pick up a Hannah checker for phosphate so I can monitor that as well. Thank you for your reply.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back