Torch coral base elongated with short tentacles

CapyLover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, first time poster here. Has anyone seen a torch do this? I’ve found one other thread but it seems there was no conclusion.

My parameters:
Alk: 11
Cal: 430
Mag: 1500
Nitrates: 10
PO3: .03

Could it he potentially be splitting? It’s been like this for around 2 weeks.

Flow could probably be better but I struggle to find the perfect amount in his current placement.

Any help is much appreciated.
IMG_1058.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Let's get the euphyllia guru in here to help out a first timer.

@vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello, first time poster here. Has anyone seen a torch do this? I’ve found one other thread but it seems there was no conclusion.

My parameters:
Alk: 11
Cal: 430
Mag: 1500
Nitrates: 10
PO3: .03

Could it he potentially be splitting? It’s been like this for around 2 weeks.

Flow could probably be better but I struggle to find the perfect amount in his current placement.

Any help is much appreciated.
IMG_1058.jpeg
Phosphate a little low and mag a little high. While this type of coral is not picky about its location, I find lower third of tank is best where there is moderate light and water flow. Too much light and flow will stress them. Calcium is important for their skeletal health and should not be lower than 390. I feed my colonies mysis shrimp

Please post another pic under white light intensity

OP
OP
C

CapyLover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate a little low and mag a little high. While this type of coral is not picky about its location, I find lower third of tank is best where there is moderate light and water flow. Too much light and flow will stress them. Calcium is important for their skeletal health and should not be lower than 390. I feed my colonies mysis shrimp

Thank you for your response. I’m thinking my Mag test (red sea) may be off as it was reading 1300 one month ago at the lfs. Phosphates I’ve been working on staying around .05 but it has dipped to around .01 which was corrected.

I will update you on a white picture here’s another one just to get an idea of his placement. I’m thinking he may be getting too much light?
IMG_0991.jpeg

OP
OP
C

CapyLover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is that white photo as promised. Tried my best to get it white. It does appear to be pooping when the photo was taken.
APC_0397.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here is that white photo as promised. Tried my best to get it white. It does appear to be pooping when the photo was taken.
APC_0397.jpeg
What is referred to as pooping is often a coral expelling its color and energy source known as zooxanthellae. It is due to stress as mentioned often caused by too much light, water flow issue (often low) elevated phosphate or low calcium.

OP
OP
C

CapyLover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is referred to as pooping is often a coral expelling its color and energy source known as zooxanthellae. It is due to stress as mentioned often caused by too much light, water flow issue (often low) elevated phosphate or low calcium.
I think I will try moving to a new spot. Thanks for your help. I will give updates with his new soot

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%

Back