Torch Coral - base issue

CaptainW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acquired this Torch coral at the end of August. It seems to be doing well, but I am having an issue with it's base. Over the last month it's been coming apart:

IMG_4162.jpg

I have seen bristleworms in my tank, and added a peppermint shrimp at the same time as the torch.. Could my Halloween hermit crab be picking at it? I added a wavemaker which increased flow and some sand was blowing around, due to my pistol shrimp. The torch was hit by some of it.

Unsure on how to proceed here..

Parameters:

(11/2)
Temp: 78.5
Salinity: 1.025
Alk: 7.8
Nitrate: 5.1
Phosphate: .03

(10/22)
Calcium: 425
Magnesium: 1142
ph: 7.8

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a bit hard to see the flesh and skeleton, but the head looks healthy and full. Do you have another picture?

edit: mag seems really low

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The head does seem to be fine, I do see what you are talking about, and your mag is quite low

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I see looks like a precise cut mark, not from something nibbling on it, maybe a pic from a different angle would help

OP
OP
CaptainW

CaptainW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a bit hard to see the flesh and skeleton, but the head looks healthy and full. Do you have another picture?

edit: mag seems really low
I'm not totally sold on that reading... and I goosed the calcium reading too, so things may not be 100% accurate. Since then (10/22) I've done 2 water changes and everything looks pretty good, including an SPS (birdsnest.)

The story is I've been testing almost every day (hanna) but my #s do not match the LFS' Aquaspin tester. They are getting lower #s on all.

ex. Calcium I was at 438, they were at 382
I do not have a magnesium test.

Headed to LFS today to have them check my water again anyways, and pick up my own magnesium tester.

OP
OP
CaptainW

CaptainW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I see looks like a precise cut mark, not from something nibbling on it, maybe a pic from a different angle would help
I agree, however the cut has definitely grown over the last couple of weeks. See video above for a better view^

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a better video from my phone.. will respond better on my computer
Unfortunately I cannot get the video to load on my phone, they typically load on my laptop, I will move over there later today.

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have spoinid worms? They bore into the skeleton under the polyp and can cause it to deteriorate. In my experience I have never seen them cause major issues to the coral.

OP
OP
CaptainW

CaptainW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have spoinid worms? They bore into the skeleton under the polyp and can cause it to deteriorate. In my experience I have never seen them cause major issues to the coral.
I am not sure, but it's possible.
I watched the video. The torch looks healthy, but it definitely looks like something is eating away the skeleton below. I couldn't find any pests
Thanks for checking.

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, i just watched the video, do the red light test, also in the video it looks a lot more like bite marks. I went a read some threads similar to this one, and some people were saying urchins might eat skeleton. Someone also said a halloween hermit as well.

OP
OP
CaptainW

CaptainW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a red flash light, try coming back when the lights are off and see if you can catch anything
I'll try to do that now.. I bought a cheap controllable light bar off amazon that works well for viewing at night.

Could be the hermit. It’s a big one that’s been mostly peaceful but picks at the rock constantly.

Got back from the LFS and mg is up to 1257 on their tester but Ca is way down vs my hanna test at almost 450. I think my parameters are good.. phosphate was high on their test @ .4 but not sure if I’m sold on it’s accuracy.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to do that now.. I bought a cheap controllable light bar off amazon that works well for viewing at night.

Could be the hermit. It’s a big one that’s been mostly peaceful but picks at the rock constantly.

Got back from the LFS and mg is up to 1257 on their tester but Ca is way down vs my hanna test at almost 450. I think my parameters are good.. phosphate was high on their test @ .4 but not sure if I’m sold on it’s accuracy.
mag is probably fine at that level. I know some people like to keep it close to 1400 for euphyllia, but your torch looks healthy outside of the bottom skeleton, so I would just keep it stable. Phosphates also wouldn't cause this, so I still think its a pest issue since your torch flesh/head look healthy

OP
OP
CaptainW

CaptainW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mag is probably fine at that level. I know some people like to keep it close to 1400 for euphyllia, but your torch looks healthy outside of the bottom skeleton, so I would just keep it stable. Phosphates also wouldn't cause this, so I still think its a pest issue since your torch flesh/head look healthy
Beginning to think it might be the wavemaker I added recently. Maybe cyano/algae got blown off the base with increased flow over the last month. Or chips from when it was fragged that were’t fully attached. Going to keep an eye on it…

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back