Torch Coral Help - tentacles short/head recession?

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I’ve been battling phosphates/GHA for almost 6 months… currently reading 0.11pm now (was up to 0.61ppm in January). Nitrates 15PPM. Calc/Mg/Alk fall into normal ranges (I can test later if exact numbers needed) / pH is 8.0.

Over the past couple months my torch has lost its tentacle length and doesn’t open like it used too (uploaded video of current status, and attached photo of a few months back). I’m not sure if it’s due to flow, lighting, or what. Other corals are happy and my acans, trumpet, bubble, zoas, cyphastrea are all growing heads and mouths.

My lighting is 2 USA Orbit Current marine lights.

I have 2 hygger powerheads

Tank is a 40g Breeder, kept between 77-78F

https://youtube.com/shorts/ig0qp5YcgQg?feature=share

Any thought on the issue and how I can help bring this torch back to life? I’ve had it for 11 months. Can it be saved? It’s in rough shape.

Thanks in advance for any advice or thoughts.

IMG_7180.png

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, hi.
Anything can be saved it doesn't look like it's in too bad condition.
First off, your po4 is not bad at 0.11 can you maintain that?
NO3 is good to.

Has it been receding for a while? It does have flesh coming off the heads so that's a good sign. Not very long off the heads, so it's not great either, but don't worry you still have some.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, hi.
NO3 is good to.

Has it been receding for a while? It does have flesh coming off the heads so that's a good sign. Not very long off the heads, so it's not great either, but don't worry you still have some.
Watching the video looks like you need more flow. And I also would like to know more about your lights. Can you tell me what model you have? I don't really know a lot about those lights, I don't really know anybody that uses their lights either. To me they are probably the way underpowered but I'm not 100% sure.

OP
OP
mr.lordacan

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, hi.
NO3 is good to.

The tentacles started off short/fat, which isn’t uncommon so I didn’t worry much. The po4 seems to still be leaching from rock maybe? Actively using phosgaurd to reduce the levels and fighting GHA 2x/week with manual removal. I stay consistent on changing it out every 4 days. I’d say it’s been a slow process, but only realized over the past couple days that there’s been some recession/ one head not really opening.

OP
OP
mr.lordacan

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching the video looks like you need more flow. And I also would like to know more about your lights. Can you tell me what model you have? I don't really know a lot about those lights, I don't really know anybody that uses their lights either. To me they are probably the way underpowered but I'm not 100% sure.
I’m upgrading to 2x AI Prime 16HD lights in early July, so if it’s the lights I’m hoping to fix it shortly. I bought them off Amazon - Current USA Orbit Marine LED Aquarium Light, 36-48 Inch. I did rent a park meter a couple months ago and was getting ~100 PAR just above the torch.

You can’t see from the video, but the torch was close by a powerhead that uses a sin wave pattern. I’m speculating (with very limited knowledge as a new reefer) that maybe the flow was too high/direct, resulting in the torch shortening its tentacles? This morning I moved the torch a little farther away from the powerhead to see if it extends further. The PAR in the new location is ~90PAR

OP
OP
mr.lordacan

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what is your mag at? You said normal levels, but that can be anywhere from 1200-1500 depending on the tank. I'd also post your alk and call just in case.
I’ll get back to you tomorrow! I checked reef2reef like 3x today and just now getting notifications that I got replies at like 7am lol. If I recall, Mg was around 1250 and alk was ~8.5. Calcium was 400ppm. I’ll respond tomorrow with exact numbers!

Alex.qld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try raising your Mg around 1300 - 1350 - although these numbers are reasonable and i'd look for something else bothering that torch - on the video, is it mucus or algae floating above the torch ?

OP
OP
mr.lordacan

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move your torch further away from the light, also have it in medium flow. Make sure it’s away from all other coral.
Did that this morning (move farther from the light). I trie
Maybe try raising your Mg around 1300 - 1350 - although these numbers are reasonable and i'd look for something else bothering that torch - on the video, is it mucus or algae floating above the torch ?
ill look into raising the Mg! In the video it was a strand of GHA. I removed that while moving my torch this morning (to a less direct flow). I’ll be testing Mg tomorrow to double check the levels.

OP
OP
mr.lordacan

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what is your mag at? You said normal levels, but that can be anywhere from 1200-1500 depending on the tank. I'd also post your alk and call just in case.
Alright, finally got a chance to test -
Ca: 420ppm
dKH: 7
Mg: 1290ppm

I do notice that a lot of people seem to shoot for 8-9dKH, but google searches tend to recommend 6.5-8.5dKH. Is 7 dKH something that should be brought up? If so, I’ll have to do some research on ways to bring it up.

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Alright, finally got a chance to test -
Ca: 420ppm
dKH: 7
Mg: 1290ppm

I do notice that a lot of people seem to shoot for 8-9dKH, but google searches tend to recommend 6.5-8.5dKH. Is 7 dKH something that should be brought up? If so, I’ll have to do some research on ways to bring it up.

We keep ours around 8.5/9 PH. Torches and hammers live higher mag. I'd try raising your mag to around 1450/1500 and see if they don't start expanding more. Our Torches start to retract under 1400 mag.

OP
OP
mr.lordacan

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We keep ours around 8.5/9 PH. Torches and hammers live higher mag. I'd try raising your mag to around 1450/1500 and see if they don't start expanding more. Our Torches start to retract under 1400 mag.
Thanks, I’m leaning towards picking up some All For Reef. Seems like between my dKH and Mg, my tank may benefit from it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back