<strong>NEED HELP WITH MY TORCH PLEASE</strong>

MarineLunatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, my fellow reefing community. I trust you all had a wonderful Christmas and New Year. I decided to treat myself to a few corals, including gonis, zoas, hammers, and a stunning torch. While I've owned torches before and never encountered the current "issue," I'm experiencing some concerns. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid, but I value your expertise to reassure me or identify any potential problems.

I purchased this HG torch coral, and as you all know, they can be quite expensive, especially when they have six heads like mine. This is why I'm particularly apprehensive. The torch seems to randomly close a few heads, open them back up, close others, and repeat the process. Today, when I checked my tank around 11 am (note that my tank lights doesn't ramp up until 2 pm), everything was flowing smoothly with its tentacles gracefully extended. I turned away for no more than 20-30 seconds to switch on my computer. When I looked back, all the heads had retracted, with at least three showing skeletons and tiny tentacles retracted. I thought, "Oh no, something is wrong," especially since I hadn't made any changes.

In response, I prepared a mixture of coral aminos and reef roids in a tub with some tank water. I gently fed all the heads, and after about five minutes, they began to reappear. Within 30 minutes, they were all fully extended and flowing again. Although I've witnessed similar behavior a few times, it has never retracted enough for me to see the skeleton. Also no aggressive fish(non-reef safe) or hosting going on with the torch Here are my current parameters. Could someone please provide advice? I constantly feel on edge with this coral, and it's making me a bit uneasy. XD

Ammonia: 0.01ppm
Nitrite: 0.01ppm
Nitrate: 4ppm
Alk: 8.8-9DKH
Phos: 0.05ppm
Cal: 445ppm
Mag: 1360PPM
Salinity: 34PPT
Temp: 25.8-26c

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 98 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back