Holy Grail Torch (its keeping me on edge)

MarineLunatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, my fellow reefing community. I trust you all had a wonderful Christmas and New Year. I decided to treat myself to a few corals, including gonis, zoas, hammers, and a stunning torch. While I've owned torches before and never encountered the current "issue," I'm experiencing some concerns. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid, but I value your expertise to reassure me or identify any potential problems.

I purchased this HG torch coral, and as you all know, they can be quite expensive, especially when they have six heads like mine. This is why I'm particularly apprehensive. The torch seems to randomly close a few heads, open them back up, close others, and repeat the process. Today, when I checked my tank around 11 am (note that my tank lights doesn't ramp up until 2 pm), everything was flowing smoothly with its tentacles gracefully extended. I turned away for no more than 20-30 seconds to switch on my computer. When I looked back, all the heads had retracted, with at least three showing skeletons and tiny tentacles retracted. I thought, "Oh no, something is wrong," especially since I hadn't made any changes.

In response, I prepared a mixture of coral aminos and reef roids in a tub with some tank water. I gently fed all the heads, and after about five minutes, they began to reappear. Within 30 minutes, they were all fully extended and flowing again. Although I've witnessed similar behavior a few times, it has never retracted enough for me to see the skeleton. Also no aggressive fish(non-reef safe) or hosting going on with the torch Here are my current parameters. Could someone please provide advice? I constantly feel on edge with this coral, and it's making me a bit uneasy. XD

Ammonia: 0.01ppm
Nitrite: 0.01ppm
Nitrate: 4ppm
Alk: 8.8-9DKH
Phos: 0.05ppm
Cal: 445ppm
Mag: 1360PPM
Salinity: 34PPT
Temp: 25.8-26c

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do torches feed on reef roids? Thought they needed bigger foods such as brine shrimp etc tho torches don't need feeding, not saying that is the issue, just asking.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm definitely not a coral expert, but I'll see if I can't help somewhat.

Usually my first thoughts with coral issues are to check the light and flow, but in this case I'd also suggest checking to see if the coral might have some pests on it (like flatworms, black/red/white/gray bugs, nudibranchs, etc.).

Also, just in case, do you have any pics of the torch and the tank? What inhabitants do you have in the tank (both fish and inverts)?

OP
OP
M

MarineLunatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do torches feed on reef roids? Thought they needed bigger foods such as brine shrimp etc tho torches don't need feeding, not saying that is the issue, just asking.
well they do let out some sticky like slime and suck it is the same as the other torches I've had, I always have fed all my corals the same reef roids and amino on doser and food when I feed the fish

OP
OP
M

MarineLunatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm definitely not a coral expert, but I'll see if I can't help somewhat.

Usually my first thoughts with coral issues are to check the light and flow, but in this case I'd also suggest checking to see if the coral might have some pests on it (like flatworms, black/red/white/gray bugs, nudibranchs, etc.).

Also, just in case, do you have any pics of the torch and the tank? What inhabitants do you have in the tank (both fish and inverts)?
Cheers, mate, I appreciate it. The coral on the sandbed has a flow set to random, with the torch gently swaying from left to right and occasionally experiencing a chaotic burst, but nothing too aggressive to pull on the tentacles. In my tank, there are 5 fish—3 clownfish, 1 yellow coris wrasse, and 1 saltwater molly. Invert wise I've also got around 10 snails and 10 hermit crabs. My nemos are hosting the wavemaker btw :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be expelling waste, since you feed them directly.

I notice my torches used to look frumpy 24 hrs after i fed them... so i just stopped LOL

But to compensate for that my nutrients are pretty high (NO3 ~51ppm LOL, and PO4 ~0.18-0.21 and they're doing pretty well if i say so myself

Attachments

• 20231209_150152.jpg
    20231209_150152.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 92
OP
OP
M

MarineLunatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be expelling waste, since you feed them directly.

I notice my torches used to look frumpy 24 hrs after i fed them... so i just stopped LOL

But to compensate for that my nutrients are pretty high (NO3 ~51ppm LOL, and PO4 ~0.18-0.21 and they're doing pretty well if i say so myself
oh wow they look magnificent in your tank good work buddy, do they shrink to expel waste?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with expelling waste. Is this the first time you feed them? Also when they close up is there a brown waste product or stringy substance coming out, or is it like pellets? When corals are bleaching they will close up and expell alot of what looks like waste, only asking as when my lobophyllia was bleaching right before it died it was closing up frequently and expelling zooanthelle

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take picture if you can. There’s normal things that make them retract. Wavemaker changing flow, something climbing on it, feeding response if it catches something

The knicks torch fully open in one pic, half the size and retracted in the second. Few hours apart. Then went back to normal. Last two pics are feeding

Torches also extend based on flow, when my wave make changes modes the torches react. Sometimes very long tentacles sometimes much shorter.

If it’s new it could definitely just be adjusting to your tank.

B0F8B85D-065C-415A-AAB1-46C0040CA9FC.jpeg DF2655AE-1775-4253-8ECC-7F3C017B86BB.jpeg 930F7E36-575B-4FE1-861C-96C33FCB06D7.jpeg AD50F81A-4C44-4C1F-9C8E-40656E07A2A6.jpeg

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep they sometimes shrink right down!

Yes mine are always grumpy looking / shrunken up a day after feeding

But then they go back to this…

I grew out the grail from a single head, it’s 5 now. I got a blue tip non-grail banana I’m growing out also

In the full tank shot you can see the grail on the left, open but not super extended. They just react based on their tank conditions, time of day, etc. he retracts at night, extends in the day, and when evening lights come on it starts to pull in.

CB3919D2-380B-431B-9BC5-BA7A32871621.jpeg B27F3E0A-4DD4-4053-AFC6-A62E0F795363.jpeg BD046687-CDBC-47A5-B57A-B567A4A273C1.jpeg B006167C-89EB-4E43-B225-736435A94236.jpeg

OP
OP
M

MarineLunatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with expelling waste. Is this the first time you feed them? Also when they close up is there a brown waste product or stringy substance coming out, or is it like pellets? When corals are bleaching they will close up and expell alot of what looks like waste, only asking as when my lobophyllia was bleaching right before it died it was closing up frequently and expelling zooanthelle
no mate no waste whatsoever just looks like it had a fresh haircut LOL

OP
OP
M

MarineLunatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to express my gratitude to everyone. Hopefully, a similar situation won't occur again, but if it does, I'll take a photo and share it. Perhaps you can then assist me further. The coral is approximately one week old, maybe less, so it could be a bit moody. Additionally, I wanted to find out whether they deflate to draw in new water to extend their tentacles similar to anemones. Thank you

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additionally, I wanted to find out whether they deflate to draw in new water to extend their tentacles similar to anemones.

I wouldn’t say there is a purpose such as expelling water to draw on new water. It’s more of a reaction i environmental changes - flow, parameters, lighting, irritation / stress, something bumped into it or climbed on it.

Here is my cotton candy torch 45 minutes apart. Only change was tank started ramping down for night time

109AF993-1377-47CC-89AD-F2AC8201F7F8.jpeg 4ED37014-597B-4C9C-B37A-3E460FF4D8D4.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MarineLunatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t say there is a purpose such as expelling water to draw on new water. It’s more of a reaction i environmental changes - flow, parameters, lighting, irritation / stress, something bumped into it or climbed on it.

Here is my cotton candy torch 45 minutes apart. Only change was tank started ramping down for night time

I can honestly say now I am at ease thank you <3

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back