What about Red Sea coral Pro salt mix?

MiZuboov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
I'm newbie in marine aquarium hobby, but I want to know...
Many people write that a dKh of 7-8 is needed for a mixed reef (which is exactly what I want to do), but Red Sea Coral Pro salt gives increased values of this parameter - ~ 11. Are there any successful examples of creating a mixed reef on this salt? Thank you so much.

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's my goto salt for my low-tech 15G mixed reef. I maintain average alk of around 9-10 dKh with weekly water changes. I also skip dosing supplements entirely on water change days.

Reef61L-2024-01-08.jpg

ti_lavender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people use that salt for water changes on their mixed reef. I wouldn’t start a tank with this salt. Typically the increased dkh is helpful when doing water changes on an existing system. Many can get away with not having to dose alkalinity/calcium/magnesium of the demand isn’t too great in their system.

OP
OP
M

MiZuboov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's my goto salt for my low-tech 15G mixed reef. I maintain average alk of around 9-10 dKh with weekly water changes. I also skip dosing supplements entirely on water change days.

Reef61L-2024-01-08.jpg
Do you use Red Sea coral pro or Red sea salt?

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are pros and cons to both schools of thought as far as alkalinity goes. I use Red Sea Pro(RSP) and keep my KH around 10.5. Because of that coupled with very high par I also have to dose a fair amount of phosphorus and nitrate. This combo has yielded the fastest growth for me. Others mentioned it’s helpful during water changes but personally I feels it’s the opposite if you keep your kh lower. Adding 12kh to a system kept at 7-8 is not a good idea in my opinion. If you’re going to use RSP I would keep your system 10 or higher. The upshot to all of this is, it’s a Coke or Pepsi debate.

OP
OP
M

MiZuboov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people use that salt for water changes on their mixed reef. I wouldn’t start a tank with this salt. Typically the increased dkh is helpful when doing water changes on an existing system. Many can get away with not having to dose alkalinity/calcium/magnesium of the demand isn’t too great in their system.
My aquarium is six months old, I don't really like its condition, so I decided to look at the very beginning - at the salt. But I haven't got big choose in my country: Red Sea, Tropic Marin and...that's all..))

OP
OP
M

MiZuboov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are pros and cons to both schools of thought as far as alkalinity goes. I use Red Sea Pro(RSP) and keep my KH around 10.5. Because of that coupled with very high par I also have to dose a fair amount of phosphorus and nitrate. This combo has yielded the fastest growth for me. Others mentioned it’s helpful during water changes but personally I feels it’s the opposite if you keep your kh lower. Adding 12kh to a system kept at 7-8 is not a good idea in my opinion. If you’re going to use RSP I would keep your system 10 or higher. The upshot to all of this is, it’s a Coke or Pepsi debate.
I have high nutrition NO3 and PO4, so, water with high kH will even be useful to me? Do you can to show your tank?

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aquarium is six months old, I don't really like its condition, so I decided to look at the very beginning - at the salt. But I haven't got big choose in my country: Red Sea, Tropic Marin and...that's all..))

You’re not supposed to like the condition of your tank at 6 months. :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

What specifically don’t you like?

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have high nutrition NO3 and PO4, so, water with high kH will even be useful to me? Do you can to show your tank?

With high KH/N/P you can push more light without burning some corals. You really have to evaluate the entire ecosystem. If you keep lower light you will not see as much benefit.

SALTWATER FISH HIPPIE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would it be okay to start a new system with this if only stating as a fowlr? its what the set up company used. had no choice but to use them and their water.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would it be okay to start a new system with this if only stating as a fowlr? its what the set up company used. had no choice but to use them and their water.

It would be fine. The downside would be it is pretty expensive compared to other brands that would work equally well.

OP
OP
M

MiZuboov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With high KH/N/P you can push more light without burning some corals. You really have to evaluate the entire ecosystem. If you keep lower light you will not see as much benefit.
What if I will have high NO3 PO4 and kH 7-8? It's worse than kH 11? Or does it only matter if the lighting level is high? I don't have PAR-meter...

OP
OP
M

MiZuboov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your numbers:
Salinity
Kh
Phosphorus
Nitrate
Magnesium
Calcium
Par if you know it
That's last Test ICP (after water changes).

kH 7
1,5 month ago I revealed very high NO3 and PO4. I did many WC last month because NO3 PO4 are high with Red Sea salt (not Coral Pro). Obviously that's why I have low Mg and kH. Probably because it my corals was died .

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if I will have high NO3 PO4 and kH 7-8? It's worse than kH 11? Or does it only matter if the lighting level is high? I don't have PAR-meter...

If you have coral dying not sure it matters one way or another. Mg is low for sure but was 1.035 salinity a typo?

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always get low Mag with RS blue bucket. 1100 is very low

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates at 60 and Phosphate 0.6 are high too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back