What algae is this and how can I get rid of it?

senorsancho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0221564E-2571-479A-9E61-0B3FFD686998.jpeg

Does anybody know what this is? It hasn't really spread onto any of my rockwork and only has been on this frag plug as well as other ones that were near it. I feel like it's bryopsis but I would think it would growreally fast and when it was full grown on another frag before didn't really look like it at all. Seems more of like a twig like algae that's more firm than something like bryopsis or GHA. Any help would be so appreciated!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

It does look like Byprosis. I am not 100% though. Surprisingly that is the only invader my tank has never had. Definitely pull the frag and carefully remove it. I am not sure the best way to kill any left over on the frag since I never had it. I am sure someone else will know.

@Flippers4pups @Billldg

Reeffraff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like bryopsis to me as well. Since its isolated to a frag plug with zoas on it and quick hydrogen peroxide dip should take care of it.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like bryopsis to me as well. Since its isolated to a frag plug with zoas on it and quick hydrogen peroxide dip should take care of it.
Definitely this. peroxide does wonders for zoa frags.

Interestingly enough I will get this on certain frag plugs in my connected frag tank but never see it spread. I might be a lucky one because I know many who have had issues battling their tank. Nice thing is that if it does spread, there are some magnesium dosing tricks you can use to kill it. BUT defenitely dip in peroxide (1 part peroxide and 3-4 parts water for 5 minutes; some say 1:4 ratio, but I've used stronger with out problems.)

OP
OP
senorsancho

senorsancho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely this. peroxide does wonders for zoa frags.

Interestingly enough I will get this on certain frag plugs in my connected frag tank but never see it spread. I might be a lucky one because I know many who have had issues battling their tank. Nice thing is that if it does spread, there are some magnesium dosing tricks you can use to kill it. BUT defenitely dip in peroxide (1 part peroxide and 3-4 parts water for 5 minutes; some say 1:4 ratio, but I've used stronger with out problems.)

I've tried peroxide dips twice with 50/50 diluted solution but only did like 2 mins max one time, would the 5 mins with the 1:4 ratio be a lot more effective and get rid of it for good? Poor acid reflux zoas, haha they were my favorite and the only ones I keep torturing with peroxide lol

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The longer dip worked fine for me. If you're worried about over dipping, manually remove the algae OUTSIDE OF THE TANK, give it a good rinse, let the frag recover and dip again. most of the time the coral is unaffected, opens back up or maybe even the next morning, sometimes it may take a day or two.

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the 50/50 peroxide/tank water for 3-5 min with my new zoas. They might take a day or 2 to fully open again, but I tested it out of desperation with nudibranch eggs (adults confirmed) and what looked like zoa pox. Was probably one o the two but the spots I saw weren't in a whorl. Worked like a charm and I do it to all of them now.

And that's totally bryopsis. It's tough to get rid of if it gets established, but it grows slowly. In some tanks it becomes a problem and in others it disappears. The old magnesium trick to get rid of it no longer works though. The additive that killed it was removed from Kent Tech-M.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back