What am I really saving by using two RO membranes versus one? | BRStv Investigates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Maurizio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

A water softener won't remove TDS just exchanges the calcium and other hardness for sodium which is less likely to cause issues in your homes plumbing, water heater, equipment, sinks and fixtures. To remove TDS with resin you need a mixed bed resin, most often based on hydrogen and hydroxide exchange.

With 1,300 TDS and ideal performance, you will see 13 to 26 TDS in the product water coming out of the membrane. If it is higher than that I would check the pressure feeding the membrane and make sure it is over 50 psi. With well water, it is pretty common for it to be as low as 35 which will be an issue and require a booster pump, getting the pressure up will have the biggest impact on performance. If that's not the issue I would guess the membrane isn't seated/sealed properly. I would remove it and put it back in place.
Thank you very much for the answer.
Yes I run two membranes in series 75 GPD with a booster pump around 100 psi.
I use the treated water to drink and cooking.
But I'm very interested at the solution you referred about a mixed bed resins,based on hydrogen and hydroxide exchange.
Can you be a little more precise?
also which is your suggestion for the flow restrictor in my case?
Thank you very much, and Cheers from Italy.

Max1984

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I am running 2 75gpd membrane in series my well water tds is 30 I am getting 4tds out.i am using a booster pump I am getting 50psi pressure . I have a spare booster pump was wondering if i can connect 2 booster pump in parallel to increase psi and connect 3rd membrane .Need sugession.

Alcasrac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all,

i planning to take second membrane to the 200gpd ro system. with saver plumbing.
do i have to take same membrane, 200gpd or i can 100gpd? and do i have to upgrade my flow resticter for 400gpd? or just leave on 200 gpd? my existing restricter 1200 came with system.

i already use booster pump, the income water press is low on my area. and the income tds 245ppm.

thanks for help

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back