Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used BRS 6 stage RO/DI system in June 2018.
I bought a BRS 6 stage replacement filter kit around xmas, it's still in the bag.
Just dawned on me that kit doesn't come with membranes, my system has 2 membranes.
So from what I have gathered through search feature here on R2R I've found that if they go unused and dry out I need to replace them correct?
So I took the cap off of the top membrane to pull it out to see which one to replace it with and to my surprise it's still wet, has water in it so I left it for now.
Can I get by making my first 100 gallons or so of RO/DI without replacing these membranes?
I believe them to last be used with pressure in April of 2018.
Lastly is there any reason not to upgrade to higher output membranes when I get new ones?
I ask because the dow filmtec 100gpd (same part# as BRS) from amazon are cheaper than the 75gpd from BRS. There's only $4 difference on amazon between the 75 and 100gpd membranes.
I realize if I do upgrade to 100gpod membranes I will need to change the flow valve. Is it worth it?
Extra info; I have 50gal tank my daughter has 20gal may turn into 40gal tank. Plan is to do 20-25 gallons per week water changes between the 2 tanks together along with approx 14 gallons per week of evap. to replace. So maybe 35-40 gallons per week sound right? Is upgrading necessary in my case? Would you upgrade? Did you upgrade yours please explain.
Thank you all for your input

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used BRS 6 stage RO/DI system in June 2018.
I bought a BRS 6 stage replacement filter kit around xmas, it's still in the bag.
Just dawned on me that kit doesn't come with membranes, my system has 2 membranes.
So from what I have gathered through search feature here on R2R I've found that if they go unused and dry out I need to replace them correct?
So I took the cap off of the top membrane to pull it out to see which one to replace it with and to my surprise it's still wet, has water in it so I left it for now.
Can I get by making my first 100 gallons or so of RO/DI without replacing these membranes?
I believe them to last be used with pressure in April of 2018.
Lastly is there any reason not to upgrade to higher output membranes when I get new ones?
I ask because the dow filmtec 100gpd (same part# as BRS) from amazon are cheaper than the 75gpd from BRS. There's only $4 difference on amazon between the 75 and 100gpd membranes.
I realize if I do upgrade to 100gpod membranes I will need to change the flow valve. Is it worth it?
Extra info; I have 50gal tank my daughter has 20gal may turn into 40gal tank. Plan is to do 20-25 gallons per week water changes between the 2 tanks together along with approx 14 gallons per week of evap. to replace. So maybe 35-40 gallons per week sound right? Is upgrading necessary in my case? Would you upgrade? Did you upgrade yours please explain.
Thank you all for your input

Put in the new filters, flush the membranes and see what the membrane rejection rate is. I comes with TDS meters. Put 1 in front of the ro and 1 after. You will get good water but might use up the resin a bit fast if the membranes are shot.

So maybe 35-40 gallons per week sound right? Is upgrading necessary in my case? Would you upgrade? Did you upgrade yours please explain.

I see no need to to upgrade. With good pressure your unit can make that amount of water in a few hours. If it has 2 membranes it has the water saver option which I have and have no problem making 65 gallons in 1 day.

OP
OP
Why-Me

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok great, thanks.
I need to order a source water connection and saddle drain clamp for this unit, the diverter won't fit my faucet and I'd much rather have it all connected under the sink anyways.\
I'll set it up and test it once I receive those pieces.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back