What are some of your favorite uses for breakout boxes?

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on using sensors in my sump and salt water mix tank, I was planning on using the FMM with sensors; but I'm not familiar with the BOB, do they do the same thing? Which would you recommend?

Just diaconnting from fusion, and not being stablei had read aomet about interference too.

FXCryptoCat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides the usual plethora of float switches...

I use it to interface my custom-built battery backup system to pass status notifications via txt/email messages. My battery backup closes contacts when either battery bank runs out of juice, dc OK, DC fail, battery fail.

I wish there was a way to connect multiple BOB boxes to apex without buying another PM module for every 6 inputs.
Do you mind elaborating on your battery backup system / bob setup?

Im currently in the process of using a raspberry pi interfaced with a CBA (computer battery analyzer and able to see % of battery life left and developing the interface to send that parameter to the apex fusion and start shutting down certain equipment to prolong the battery life and have 3 criticality levels of shutdown:
Level 1: 90%-100% (catch short power outages without any interruption, turn lights off etc..)
Level 2: 50%-89% (put the COR20 to 15% flow, shut off wav, chiller, ats, lights.)
Level 3: 0%-49 (critical only return pump COR20 at 1%)

Last edited:

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Do you mind elaborating on your battery backup system / bob setup?

Im currently in the process of using a raspberry pi interfaced with a CBA (computer battery analyzer and able to see % of battery life left and developing the interface to send that parameter to the apex fusion and start shutting down certain equipment to prolong the battery life and have 3 criticality levels of shutdown:
Level 1: 90%-100% (catch short power outages without any interruption, turn lights off etc..)
Level 2: 50%-89% (put the COR20 to 15% flow, shut off wav, chiller, ats, lights.)
Level 3: 0%-49 (critical only return pump COR20 at 1%)

I can't drag the battery unit from behind the water tank at the moment so let me see if I can find older pictures.

Essentially I built this battery backup using Verizon FIOS battery backup enclosures (I bought them cheap off ebay without batteries) that keep 8 SLA batteries each.

Using Meanwell P/S and battery backup DIN modules it controls when things get charged and when switched to battery power. The Meanwell unit allows you to connect BOB to monitor when switched to battery power and when batteries are bad.

Here are the main parts I've used.

Power supply - if you want to make it elaborate you can use 2 with 2 different 120V power sources, so it doesn't go down unless both circuits lose power.

Redundant Module - If you use 2 P/S per above or if using 1 x 120V source with 2 battery banks. (connect to BOB to monitor if either source/bank has failed)

UPS Module - (connect to BOB to monitor battery status)

Get a manual for each off MeanWell's website and see the possibilities. Don't forget to incorporate some DIN low voltage breakers for safety and you're good to go. Using the above I've built a 24V backup system.

Hope this helps.

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a float in my frag tank. that tank is feed from a return pump feed manfold. if the over flow in my frag tank becomes clogged. the float will signal open and turn off the return pump and alert me... i just wish the sign between open and closed was instant. the delay in switching from open to close is about 30 secs. so my frag may flood anyway for a few seconds. thats better than several hours.....i guess

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back