What are the most dependable LED lights that don't have connectivity issues or forget their settings?

holdthecoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations on lights that don't have bad connection issues or forget their settings? Looking for lights that are set and forget.

Anyone know if the redsea 90 has fixed the connectivity issues? Or if Ecotech G5 are finally dependable with firmware updates?

I'm coming back to the hobby after a decade, and had metal hallides with T5s that never caused any problems. I am looking for dependable LED lights to grow sps that I don't have to constantly worry about and tinker with. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Willing to pay more for dependability.

Texas Rick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a kessil a160we with a controller hooked up to it. Had it for about 6 months now. Haven’t had a issue.
But I have been thinking about the Red Sea 90 because I’ve heard of good reviews on the coral side of it.
I can’t say the kessil is a bad light. I just wished I had more control of the spectrum side of it. And can only control the blue to white and in between them two colors.

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about lights that require no connectivity? Kessils are one, along with T5. Or Radions that require plugging into a USB port on your computer. Why do you think you need to control your lights more than one a month?

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll just point out that this is yet another feature black box lights have, and many expensive LEDs lack.

You cant lose wifi connection when you don't have a wifi connection!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at Photon V2. You don't hear people complain about them being buggy.

FWIW - if you buy tech that also happens to be a light, then you will have some issues. They all seem to have some.

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Gen 5 Radions and have no issue at all with connectivity. Ecotech released an update last month that solved the majority of the issues people were experiencing.

OP
OP
H

holdthecoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Gen 5 Radions and have no issue at all with connectivity. Ecotech released an update last month that solved the majority of the issues people were experiencing.
I'm glad to hear that they have fixed connectivity issues for the G5. Do you ever notice the lights not syncing? Seems like another problem people are having.

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad to hear that they have fixed connectivity issues for the G5. Do you ever notice the lights not syncing? Seems like another problem people are having.

I will say that one issue is that there are no detailed instructions for the app that controls the fixtures. You need to go in an individually calibrate each fixture to sync up with the next one. I had no clue until I started messing around with the settings and options. After calibration the fixtures synced up and are working well.

I've run MH or T5 for the past 20+ years. I was apprehensive about moving to LED but truthfully I am very happy with the fixtures. I was worried about spread, spotlighting, and shadows but the lighting looks great. Its looks very similar to MH with supplemental T5's.

I do have a couple diffuser on order. I don't need them but I am curious as to what they will do with the spread of light.

I am using the XR15 PRO's.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 30.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back